new member with 1988 171

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member with 1988 171

hey everyone, new guy on the block with a 1988 Mako 171 with Yamaha 115 I just purchased last weekend. Pretty excited as this is my first boat purchase.

Any tips/suggestions for a new Mako owner?

Overall she is in pretty good shape, looks like the PO took good care of her.

I am gonna go ahead and guess that my fuel tank is shot. Will hook it up to an external and run her this summer on the Pamlico River mostly. Will probably look to replace the fuel tank in November/December. Ill post some pics once I figure out how to do it.
    1988 Mako 171[br]Greenville, NC

Welcome to CM !

Congrats on the purchase.

There are lots of people on here with an abundance of knowledge who are always willing to help.

Looking forward to seeing those pics.
    The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

Welcome to the madness! We have a 1971 Mako 17 which has been completely redone. Alot of good advise is available on this site so don't be afraid to ask questions.
      Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thats a pretty one...like the sleek look! Congratulations!
            [/URL]

Comment

Welcome to CM!

Great looking ride!
              Just call me \"J.\"[br]77 Mako 21 Project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35110[br]85 Mako 17 / 90 ETEC - SOLD[br]Wilmington, NC[br]

Comment

So how do I know for sure if my fuel tank is shot? There is some old fuel in there I am planning on flushing out this weekend. Is there any way to tell besides taking the fuel tank out and flushing it?

Comment

The only real way to tell is to pull the coffin top and tank and inspect it. My tank actually looked really good and then I found two holes in the top under the fill hose where it was incased in foam and one on the bottom had not opened up yet but was close. Now that I have my old tank back I will be adding the photos to my build thread.

If you could find a way to cap off the fill / vent / feed to complete a pressure test would be about the only other way of testing.
                  Just call me \"J.\"[br]77 Mako 21 Project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35110[br]85 Mako 17 / 90 ETEC - SOLD[br]Wilmington, NC[br]

Comment

As stated pulling the coffin lid will at least expose the the top of the tank but typically the corrison is on the sides and bottom. Could PO provide any details? Your boat has some subtle changes than the early models. Were the bow and grab rails removed? No windshield either? Older Makos had mustard yellow floors. Can not tell from pictures but are there rear fish boxes? Is there access to bigle area via an inspection hatch? Not sure there is any drain holes for deck from pictures. If there is access to bilge is there any gas fume odor? Check the fuel hose to see if it is ethahol rated. Is the seating original? If you pull the console you are half way there so replacing the tank makes sense. The 115 Yamaha should push you along at 30+ easily. Trim tabs would be a definite improvement to performance. Boat looks good now the fun begins!
                    Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

nice looking boat, looks mostly original.

I replaced a tank in the same year and model, link below.

lots of tank replace and rebuild/restore threads on here, use google search:

classic mako + your key word(s)

Doesn't look like you need to do much but buff her up a bit!
                      Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by keyman

As stated pulling the collin lid will at least expose the the top of the tank but typically the corrison is on the sides and bottom. Could PO provide any details? Your boat has some subtle changes than the early models. Were the bow and grab rails removed? No windshield either? Older Makos had mustard yellow floors. Can not tell from pictures but are there rear fish boxes? Is there access to bigle area via an inspection hatch? Not sure there is any drain holes for deck from pictures. If there is access to bilge is there any gas fume odor? Check the fuel hose to see if it is ethahol rated. Is the seating original? If you pull the console you are half way there so replacing the tank makes sense. The 115 Yamaha should push you along at 30+ easily. Trim tabs would be a definite improvement to performance. Boat looks good now the fun begins!

The previous owner pretty much stripped this one down to make it a pure fishing machine. He did give me the bow and grab rails, windshield(has a crack in it), seat lean back, and aft light. Seat is original but there are no rear fish boxes on either side. I'm not sure if this year and model had these? Anyone else know the answer to this?

There are drain holes for the deck.

There is an access hatch for the bilge. I opened it up and there was a black sludge down in there. Did not really smell like gas, though.

I am probably going to flush the fuel tank and then pop open the center console in two weeks.

Would love to get trim tabs one day, just depends on if the boss signs off on that purchase. Will keep you guys updated.

Comment

Welcome to the family[]
                          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

If the previous owner has no knowledge of the tank ever being replaced it would do you good to pull the pie plates from the floor and inspect around the fill vent and pickup. Pressure testing would be your best bet if you could find a way to plug fill and vent off
                            1990 - 261 [br]1968 -19 (First 40)[br][email protected]

Comment

Great looking 17!

Comment

Working...
                              X