1987 mako 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 mako 17

Hi everyone I just registered for the site I bought a 1987 mako 17 and was wondering how fast it will go it has a 1988 mercury 90hp outboard. Also I was thinking of converting it to 2 batteries on a switch as installing a stereo and a lowrance system any suggestions what do you guys think of the mako 17 from that year it seems like its in great shape also I was thinking of redoing the teak any suggestions on that

Thanks

Maaarky

Peabody Ma
    1987 Mako 17

Welcome to CM !

Congrats on the purchase.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

As for speed it's hard to say but I would guess somewhere around 30-40 MPH depending on the load. As for the Teak... There are several people on here that have more experience than I at that so I will leave it to one of those folks to guide you on that.
    The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

Welcome!

I have a 1988 M171 with a 1989 johnson 90, does about 33 mph.

Many have used epoxy on their teak. Others oil only or varnish only.

I left my step pads to be oiled to make them more non-slip, varnished the rest after soaking with teak/tung oil, since mine lives on a trailer. My M20 sat in the water exposed to the elements, nothing but oil for the teak on that one.

Try a google search "classic mako teak" and I am sure you will be reading for a while...

Good Luck!
      Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

Welcome to the madness!

Do you have a standard or angler model? One of the many projects we did on our 17 was add an additional battery and moved them to under the console. We have a standard model and replaced the fish box covers with 1/2" starboard. All other teak is oiled only. We have a Merc 125hp, 2 stroke with 19 pitch prop which pushes the boat 40+ MPH. Another good addition was adding Bennett M120 trim tabs for ride improvement. Depending on how your boat is propped you should be in the 30-35MPH. Post some pictures of your ride and good luck!
        Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Welcome to the site! Snappy Teak Nu is a product I used back in the early 70's and still use today...its a two part cleaner that will make your teak look like its been freshly sanded...just wear gloves and old clothes! Afterwards just use teak oil and re-clean when necessary. Here's a pic of the step pads from my 1968 19 as I cleaned them...they are still on the boat and look great. I am a big fan of natural oiled teak, though it does take some work.

[/URL]
          [/URL]

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback everyone what's the difference between the standard and angler model also how do I post a picture???
            1987 Mako 17

Comment

I was one of the lazy ones with teak[]I did the epoxy varnish method.First good step is move those batteries under console and get a bep battery cluster for single engine 2 bank system.The neat think is it constantly will maintain both batteries when needed so you don't have to manually swap to charge your house battery.As far as pics go register with photobucket,upload to their site.Copy the image code,and paste the code on your post here

Comment

can you explain more about this bep battery cluster???? how does it differ from a regular marine battery switch? how much are they and are they hard to install??? thanks
                1987 Mako 17

Comment

also i forgot to mention my boat doesnt have a windshield but has the aluminum frame does anyone know where i could buy one or how much they cost?
                  1987 Mako 17

Comment

I have a dual battery BEP switch and VSR (714-100A) I am not going to use, new in package if you are interested.

For a windshield, look for a local acrylic shop they may be able to make one for you.

default is:

http://www.updplastics.com/windshields%20main.htm

I have one from them and other mako owners have gotten them there.
                    Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

A standard 17 has two fish boxes port and starboard while an angler model has multiple boxes across the stern. A BEP cluster has integral design of the battery switch and VSR (voltage sensitive relay) it is a compact package allowing charging or switching between either battery. Other designs (Perko or Blueseas) require a separate switch and ACR (automatic charging relay) to accomplish the same result of a BEP cluster. We purchased a windshield from UPD for our 17 and was pleased with their help in providing installation instructions. They are familiar with Mako console designs but will ask for dimensional information and color choices, clear vs smoked. We went with dark smoked color. Just check their web site for choices available.

Our 17 on land

Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

It's a standard the guy I bought it from redid the teak te. Years ago with sikkens cetol marine should I use the same stuff with just a really light sanding it still looks good what suggestions do you guys have? Do you recommend the bep battery cluster as opposed to other systems
                        1987 Mako 17

Comment

I prefer to just light sand the steps and apply a light coat of teak oil on them. Guess I am old school but it depends on environmental conditions. Removed them during the facelift project this fall and cleaned them up. The BEP cluster is easier to install with no additional components required for operation. The other systems have separate switch and sensing relays to interconnect, both work equally well.
                          Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

CETOL can get really brittle with age if not cared for.

if they are already coated with it and it is in good shape, follow the manufacturer's directions for recoat.

otherwise, strip and oil.

Comment

Does anyone know where to get a rear light fixture for this boat I just noticed mine is broken off a little bit but still works I would like to replace it any ideas thanks
                              1987 Mako 17

Comment

Working...
                              X