Forum Newbie looking for 23Inboard & Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Newbie looking for 23Inboard & Info

Have owned boats in the past and am looking to get back into power now that the kids are old enough to not give the wife a heart attack with every move. (Need a Flagship for my fleet of sailing dinghies)

I've always loved the look of the Makos and think a 23 will suit me for now. I like the idea of the older glass hulls for their weight/ ride/ seawort*****s. Are there any known issues with the older hulls I should look out for? Looking for an inboard because I have access to a plethora of SBC parts and am used to dealing with inboards in the past.

Does anyone know how much horsepower/ torque the transmission will bear?

I've seen some with and without trim tabs- any opinions?

Anyone know of a good project for sale? I'd like to do my own color combo, so one needing a redo or engine work would be perfect.

Thanks,

Bob
    \'76 Mako 23 inboard[br]\'76 Coronado 15[br]\'92 Laser 15[br]\'04 Boatex 10[br]\'92 Odense Linde 176mtr[br][/url]

Does any one know why the text editor doesn't like the word seawort*****s.
    \'76 Mako 23 inboard[br]\'76 Coronado 15[br]\'92 Laser 15[br]\'04 Boatex 10[br]\'92 Odense Linde 176mtr[br][/url]

Comment

Sea-worth-i-ness, yes it is a word, guess text editor doesn't like nautical terms

Comment

Welcome.I have a 23 but has the twin mercruiser 140s.My hull is a 73 model and those boats are built like tanks.The 236 has a deeper vee at stern than the 23 version.I have people saying they would not run a boat without trim tabs.Go into the classified section under looking for a 23 project and ask member Dodge if he will get rid of his 23 inboard.He is in Georgia but expressed interest in letting his go

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

Welcome.I have a 23 but has the twin mercruiser 140s.My hull is a 73 model and those boats are built like tanks.The 236 has a deeper vee at stern than the 23 version.I have people saying they would not run a boat without trim tabs.Go into the classified section under looking for a 23 project and ask member Dodge if he will get rid of his 23 inboard.He is in Georgia but expressed interest in letting his go

Thanks.

Comment

Tabs: definitely; bigger the better.

With a straight shaft boat, its the only way to be able to trim/adjust your running attitude for sea-state.
            [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TheFishTank

Tabs: definitely; bigger the better.

With a straight shaft boat, its the only way to be able to trim/adjust your running attitude for sea-state.

Good to know, thanks

Comment

Anyone know what the trailered weight is of the rig? Currently have 5500 lbs capacity. May have to tow once in a while.

Comment

http://www.mako-boats.com/past-model-specs/

it says 3600 for the 79 236...but not certain if that includes the engine or not...but certainly empty dry weight.

FWIW, I pulled mine from RI to FL with a V-6 Toyota Tacoma....burned a crap load of gas doing it and never got more than 45mph on uphills...but was fine once I got south of VA where it flattens out.....

Good trailer brakes were indispensable....air shocks would have been useful

[br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TheFishTank

http://www.mako-boats.com/past-model-specs/

it says 3600 for the 79 236...but not certain if that includes the engine or not...but certainly empty dry weight.

FWIW, I pulled mine from RI to FL with a V-6 Toyota Tacoma....burned a crap load of gas doing it and never got more than 45mph on uphills...but was fine once I got south of VA where it flattens out.....

Good trailer brakes were indispensable....air shocks would have been useful

More good info. Thanks

Comment

As already has been said, trim tabs are a must and the 236 has a deeper v hull than the earlier model 23 IB's.....I noticed you mentioned Small Block Chevy. Those are the ones I like best but there are also many of the older models with Ford 351 Windsors and Chrysler 318's....You may also run across some with Diesels. In my opinion a Diesel would be the way to go but I'm too cheap to convert mine over to Diesel....LOL

Good luck in your search.
                      Clyde[br]1978 Mako 23 IB[br]\"Shark Bait\" ***SOLD***[br]Kent Island, Md. [br]gone but not forgotten[br]Current Boat-1985 26Foot Shamrock Cuddy Cabin [br]Yanmar 4LHA-STE 230 HP Diesel Engine[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cw.abeljr

As already has been said, trim tabs are a must and the 236 has a deeper v hull than the earlier model 23 IB's.....I noticed you mentioned Small Block Chevy. Those are the ones I like best but there are also many of the older models with Ford 351 Windsors and Chrysler 318's....You may also run across some with Diesels. In my opinion a Diesel would be the way to go but I'm too cheap to convert mine over to Diesel....LOL

Good luck in your search.

Thanks. My Silverton had 318s that I changed out to 440s. They were great marine engines, sipped fuel. Would love to get a diesel, but in the long run I'm most familiar and have a garage full of SB Chevy parts.

Found and purchased a 23 inboard today with the Chevy 350. []

Comment

Congrats on your purchase......Post some pics when you get the chance.
                          Clyde[br]1978 Mako 23 IB[br]\"Shark Bait\" ***SOLD***[br]Kent Island, Md. [br]gone but not forgotten[br]Current Boat-1985 26Foot Shamrock Cuddy Cabin [br]Yanmar 4LHA-STE 230 HP Diesel Engine[br]

Comment

Well, thanks to the help of the forum, I'm the proud new owner of a 23 Inboard. I've started a project thread at

http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49739

Thanks for all the input I'm sure I'll be looking for more in the new thread.id="size4">

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the IB club!

[][][8D][][]

Comment

Working...
                              X