New Mako project list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mako project list

I'm new here, but I've been browsing for a little while in anticipation of picking up my very first boat. And this past weekend, she finally arrived! A 1986 Mako 224, all mine. For the age, she looks in great condition. But even so, its still gonna take a little work and time to get this boat back in shape. The boat has been sitting for 5 years. Before being put into storage, the previous owner rebuilt the carburetors (Yamaha 200 v6, also 1986), so nothing but air has been sitting in them. The gas tank was not emptied though. The boat was stored outside, but has a cover over it. And though the cover is a little ratty and torn, it still offered some decent protection from the elements of sunny, stormy, windy, rainy south Florida.

So I've got a lot to do, and have started to compile a list. There are definitely some things I am looking for recommendations on, and if there are some things I have left off (definitely are), let me know.

-Fuel tank cleaned: DONE. (USA Fuel Service came out and cleaned it. Awesome guys, great company. They were a huge help)

-Run new fuel line with Ethanol rated line

-Replace fuel sending unit

-New fuel water separator filter can

-New 10m fuel filters

-New water pump on engine

-New Batteries

-Replace switches and switch panel (Any recommendations? Is CJMAKO still building these?)

-New GPS/Fishfinder: Garmin 740S? I want to drill for a thru-hull transducer, but I dont know which transducer to buy.

-Clean teak with Snappy Teak and then oil it. Maybe Semco Teak Sealer when I have the time.

-Patch small cosmetic cracks and holes (What should I use for this?)

-Obviously clean and cosmetically restore the exterior. (Meguiars Marine restoration kit?)

Thank you guys for your input. Glad to be here and be part of the club! This list of stuff to do is actually more exciting than daunting. Ready to get to work, and hoping to be on the water come Christmas break!

Congratulations! A little soapy water and you are good to go!
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Very nice looking rig!Congrats on the purchase.Seems like minor stuff to do to get her back in shape

Comment

Welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase.

The boat looks to be in good shape.

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it.

Check Transom integrity if you haven't already.

Make sure you seal that fuel sender properly when you replace it (that can end up a big problem if you don't)

When you say "drill" for thru-hull transducer what /where exactly are you planning to drill ?

Again, welcome and congrats !
        The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Salty-Dawg

Welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase.

The boat looks to be in good shape.

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it.

Check Transom integrity if you haven't already.

Make sure you seal that fuel sender properly when you replace it (that can end up a big problem if you don't)

When you say "drill" for thru-hull transducer what /where exactly are you planning to drill ?

Again, welcome and congrats !

Thanks for the input! As for transom integrity, I'm not familiar with that. Is it something I can check myself? There are no visible signs of weakness around the transom such as cracks or warping.

For the transducer, I was considering a thru hull transducer; the kind that sits outside the hull. I was told these yield best results, but I'm way open to alternatives. The boat currently has a transom mount transducer, but the fish finder unit is very very old, and I'm doubtful the existing transducer would be compatible with a new Garmin. But maybe putting a new transom transducer in the place of the old one would be the easiest solution. Any recommendations on that?

Comment

Congrats! The 224 is a great boat and looks like you found a good one.
            \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
            \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Nice rigg buddy.

As for the electronics, yes the Garmin 740s is a great unit, you will love it and they are on sale for about 700 bucks right now. The best thru hull ducer for that unit is the airmar b60 in a 12 degree tilt for your application...
              1992 Mako 211 with a 2008 F250 Yamaha <<<SOLD [br]Current >>> 2486 CC Triton Honda 150 vtecs[br]

Comment

A couple of things you can do to check the transom:

first...grab the foot of the engine while it is tilted and lift as hard as you can, then release while watching the transom mount of the engine. If the transom moves...ie is not rigid, then you may have a problem.

You can also remove the lowest screw on the transom and see if any water comes out.

Watch the transom when you give the engine gas to get up on a plane to see if it flexes...thats also a good indicator of rotten wood core. Even if you get a little wiggle, you are probably OK for a while.

There are plenty of transom rebuld threads on this site...lets hope you don't have to go there!
                [/URL]

Comment

Very nice boat, I just picked one up myself here in south Florida about four months ago, I have done plenty of work, restored outside and checked transom, gas tank for leaks, etc. the boat handles great in the ocean and takes some chop like a champ and will keep you dry. go and get some non skid deck cleaner and some magic erasers and the inside will clean right up, if there are any open holes on boat make sure to plug them as soon as possible. other than that good luck wit the boat and keep on asking questions
                  Palm Beach, Florida[br]1984 Mako 224[br]2014 Suzuki 250AP[br]Miller\'s Ale House Fishing Team Captain[br]Like us on Facebook and watch as we fish tournaments and travel on our classic Mako.[br]Repower Thread- http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49382[br]Paint Project- http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52821[br] http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/chrism1019/media/E7211ACC-7AFF-445C-9A4D-200A6378403D_zps7mobj86o.jpg.html][br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smokinlmm

Nice rigg buddy.

As for the electronics, yes the Garmin 740s is a great unit, you will love it and they are on sale for about 700 bucks right now. The best thru hull ducer for that unit is the airmar b60 in a 12 degree tilt for your application...

Thanks, I just picked up the 740s, on sale!

But according to the Mako site, the deadrise at transom on that year and model is 19 degrees, which I assume would put me at the 20 degree model. Is that right, or am I missing something?

Comment

I know the 70s had shallower vee at stern so 12 degree would work.I thought deep bees needed the 20.I could be wrong.I would like to know if you find out before I install my b-60.I have shallow vee

Comment

Working...
                      X