1987 20cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 20cc

I am looking into a "lightly used" 1987 20cc with a 2011 yamaha f150. After an initial inspection it checks out very solid but is there anything special I should make sure of? My plan would be to run it for the rest of the season and then overhaul the wiring and electronics and do some fiberglass and gelcoat touchups, but nothing major .
    Ian[br]1987 Mako 20[br]Jamestown, RI[br]

Great boat and I miss my 20c. That is a great motor match to the hull. Usual things - transom moisture, fuel tank, wiring. Nothing particular with the model or year. If the tank is original, plan on replacing. That model used hoses for all the fuel fill vs aluminum pipe which corroded badly.

Welcome to CM and post some pics!
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Very solid hull.Welcomex-2!Tough enough to go anywhere within reason[]

Comment

Very solid hull.Welcomex-2!Tough enough to go anywhere within reason[]

Comment

Thanks! I will do a more thorough inspection and take some pictures hopefully before the weekend.

Comment

Thanks! I will do a more thorough inspection and take some pictures hopefully before the weekend.

Comment

Just make sure you do the transom test....grab the foot of the engine and yank...if the transom is good there should be no wiggle. Remove the lowest screw on the transom to see if water weeps out...if it does it doesn't necessarily mean the transom is bad, but you sure could use that info as a bargaining chip. Good luck!
              [/URL]

Comment

Just make sure you do the transom test....grab the foot of the engine and yank...if the transom is good there should be no wiggle. Remove the lowest screw on the transom to see if water weeps out...if it does it doesn't necessarily mean the transom is bad, but you sure could use that info as a bargaining chip. Good luck!
                [/URL]

Comment

I finally get to go pick her up tomorrow. It has 45 gallons of fuel in it that has been sitting for a little over a year. Previous owner was unsure if it was stabilized. I don't have the capacity to get all of it out but if I can get 35 gallons of it out, add a lot of fresh fuel, change filters and stabilize thoroughly should I be alright?

Thanks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by IanMac5873

I finally get to go pick her up tomorrow. It has 45 gallons of fuel in it that has been sitting for a little over a year. Previous owner was unsure if it was stabilized. I don't have the capacity to get all of it out but if I can get 35 gallons of it out, add a lot of fresh fuel, change filters and stabilize thoroughly should I be alright?

Thanks

Most likely. I would purge the fuel out of the lines as well and make sure you have a good 10 micron fuel/water separator. You can run the old fuel in your truck - most do 3-5 gallons mixed with a fresh tank of fuel, even if its Pre-mix.
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

here she is!

fun first ride and now the work begins...

Comment

Very nice! I always thought the F150 would be a perfect match for the 20C.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Working...
                        X