WHAT ON EARTH HAVE I BOUGHT???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT ON EARTH HAVE I BOUGHT???

Ok folks sorry for shouting with the title but I'm really in need of help. After a few long drinks I popped over to a friendly boatyard in France and saw an old-ish sports fisher style boat I liked the look of and bought it. Looking at the plate it says MAKO MARINE INC. and has serial MRK E2855F990. Mako themselves can't bring it up on their system - so has the forum any clue? 6.5 meters long centre console with overhead , 2 chairs ...

I'll post my (bad) photos of her once I've figured out how.

Definitely need pictures. You have to host them somewhere else, like photobucket, then post the IMG code in your reply.

You can also post in the Q&A thread below since the son of the founder of Mako posts and answers questions.

http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.a...4&whichpage=32

Welcome to CM!
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Comment

there - told you they were terrible photos but she's 900 miles away from me right now and all I have is what you see. While I'm at it the transom measures 600mm so after much debate I'm fitting a Mercury XL shaft engine - seem correct to you wise(er)folk?

Comment

looks like a 21
          [br]Stewart,[br]1999 290 SeaVee, 250 E-Tecs[br]Previous-[br]1994 211 Classic & 01\' 250 Yamaha SWSII OX66 Pascagoula, MS

Comment

Yes it's a Mako 21
            ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

600mm = 23.622 inches per google. You would need a 25" shaft if the info given is correct. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to CM.
              OBX, NC - 1992 Mako M-231 - 99 Yamaha ox66 225 -Sold-[br]

Comment

Firstly many thanks for the warm welcome! I can see this forum is going to make all the difference to my Mako's latter years! So I now know she's a 21 and from the serial number MRKE2855F990 am I right in saying she's a 1990 build year?

There's too many questions to ask you all but uppermost in my mind is this - I've bought a Mercury 150F four stroke XL shaft as per Mercury's guidelines (thanks M231user for confirming shaft length) Fuel costs for anything bigger in Europe are, for me, prohibitive. But I'm looking at you guys with your two stroke zappy 225's and worrying it will be a bit inadequate. Anyone care to comment? The engine I found was new but a bargain discount - I suppose I might one day find a second and rig them side by side...but for now that's it!

Comment

Per Makos website, the 1990 211 is rated for 235 hp max. The 150 should push her ok with the right prop. But dont expect her to be a speed boat.

See link for factory specs:

http://www.mako-boats.com/past-model...modelyear=1990
                  OBX, NC - 1992 Mako M-231 - 99 Yamaha ox66 225 -Sold-[br]

Comment

The dealer that sold me the Mercury suggested a stainless Rev 4 17 pitch prop as it holds the water better in the turn and suffers less from cavitation. It seems right from the Mercury prop selector website but please say if you think that's a bad choice as I have a couple of days to alter my order.

Comment

To update - the XL shaft fitted fine. Next I decided the currently installed mechanical steering cables had to go and I bought a Baystar hydraulic system that comes with 20 ft hoses (which could be cut down but I think I'll need all that length). Has anyone used Baystar? It seems rated to 150HP which suits me - Seastar goes further bust costs considerably more.

Oh - and a quick question about the windlass - I want to buy a good hard sand anchor and Rocna or Manston seem to get the best ratings but there's some doubt about whether it will foul with the bow roller due to its design - anyone?

Comment

Finally launched in the Mediterranean - Really enjoying her - my only snag is a "Water in Fuel" alert on occasion from the Mercury smartcraft guages. At first i thought it was a bad batch of fuel from the pumps but I do see water in the separator even after cleaning out the tanks. Considering a Racor drainable water separating filter - but that's not really curing the problem - simply can't find where that water's gettin in!!

Comment

Maybe a new tank...? Boat looks nice

Try posting in discussion for more response and turn off link back option. Link isnbelow

http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45829
                          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Working...
                          X