New Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mako

Hey guys, I've been reading around here for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a '98 191 cc. Love the boat so far except for some reason it seems to be leaning to its port side once it gets on plane. I've tried adjusting the trim tabs but that only covers up the problem. When not on plane, it sits evenly. Does anybody know what this could be? Thanks1

Welcome!Check alignment of the anode fin on your engine.They are supposed to be sacrificial but that can make your boat pull more to one side and lower a side in some cases

Comment

Welcome!Check alignment of the anode fin on your engine.They are supposed to be sacrificial but that can make your boat pull more to one side and lower a side in some cases

Comment

X2 -

quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

Also, don't overlook the obvious. Weight distribution. Eventhough it sits evenly when not on plane, there is less area in surface contact when on plane. The forward thrust may not overcome a port side weighted difference while on plane allowing her to lean. Battery(ies) location, oil reservior, etc

Welcome to the Mako family from a Mako rookie as well[]
        Jibber[br]Newnan, Ga to Orange Beach, Ala[br]99\' Mako 221

Comment

X2 -

quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

Also, don't overlook the obvious. Weight distribution. Eventhough it sits evenly when not on plane, there is less area in surface contact when on plane. The forward thrust may not overcome a port side weighted difference while on plane allowing her to lean. Battery(ies) location, oil reservior, etc

Welcome to the Mako family from a Mako rookie as well[]
          Jibber[br]Newnan, Ga to Orange Beach, Ala[br]99\' Mako 221

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, I took a closer look on the lower unit and it seems to be the the skeg is bent to the left which would explain the lean. leinad, the battery and oil are in the console and I've played around with the weight distribution of people and couldn't get it to straighten out. Does anybody have any experience repairing a skeg?

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, I took a closer look on the lower unit and it seems to be the the skeg is bent to the left which would explain the lean. leinad, the battery and oil are in the console and I've played around with the weight distribution of people and couldn't get it to straighten out. Does anybody have any experience repairing a skeg?

Comment

Jake,

I have the same boat, same year. I don't believe the batteries or oil in console will make any difference. I added a second battery, but before it was on one side. I'd bet your skeg was the issue. My boat doesn't have tabs...yet, but is real sensitive to weight distribution, aka people. Anything in the console should not make much difference, since its centered in the hull anyway.

Gacto
                Salem County, NJ[br]Whaler 15 SS (sold)[br]Mako 191[br]

Comment

Jake,

I have the same boat, same year. I don't believe the batteries or oil in console will make any difference. I added a second battery, but before it was on one side. I'd bet your skeg was the issue. My boat doesn't have tabs...yet, but is real sensitive to weight distribution, aka people. Anything in the console should not make much difference, since its centered in the hull anyway.

Gacto
                  Salem County, NJ[br]Whaler 15 SS (sold)[br]Mako 191[br]

Comment

I think you can get replacement skeg and get someone that knows what they are doing to weld it on and do it to where minimal heat on components inside the "bullet"

Comment

I think you can get replacement skeg and get someone that knows what they are doing to weld it on and do it to where minimal heat on components inside the "bullet"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jake5497

If the skeg is actually bent you can use 2 rawhide hammers (one for striking and one as a backup at the point where you need it to bend to correct the bend. Put the backup hammer at the point you need to correct and hold pressure on it. Then, strike the skeg about midway down from the correction spot from the opposite direction. (in the direction of needed correction) Work it ,don't try to do it all in one hit. This should work. if it does happen to crack or break off then it was too far gone to start with. If this is the case you can get a skeg guard or have it replaced. Replacement skegs are out there and they can be welded on as long as it is done by someone that knows what they're doing with cast aluminum. The main thing to watch is HEAT... Whoever does it needs to be mindful of the heat transfer as aluminum is quick to transfer heat. I have done this and as long as I kept a rag with cool water handy no problems you just need to be careful to not let that heat get to seals in the lower unit. I have done this for many of my customers before successfully. You just have to be careful to protect seals from intense heat.
                        The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jake5497

If the skeg is actually bent you can use 2 rawhide hammers (one for striking and one as a backup at the point where you need it to bend to correct the bend. Put the backup hammer at the point you need to correct and hold pressure on it. Then, strike the skeg about midway down from the correction spot from the opposite direction. (in the direction of needed correction) Work it ,don't try to do it all in one hit. This should work. if it does happen to crack or break off then it was too far gone to start with. If this is the case you can get a skeg guard or have it replaced. Replacement skegs are out there and they can be welded on as long as it is done by someone that knows what they're doing with cast aluminum. The main thing to watch is HEAT... Whoever does it needs to be mindful of the heat transfer as aluminum is quick to transfer heat. I have done this and as long as I kept a rag with cool water handy no problems you just need to be careful to not let that heat get to seals in the lower unit. I have done this for many of my customers before successfully. You just have to be careful to protect seals from intense heat.
                          The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

Working...
                          X