New Member New Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member New Boat

Thanks to all the help from Classic Mako members I was able to pick up a '96 Mako 232b with Yamaha VX 250hp. Came with the original Makp Spray dodger as well.

Ironing out some of the kinks. Needs a new switch panel and a little TLC. Plan to take her out for a shake down run this week. Just got the bilge pump working today (didn't want to go out on water without bilge pump working.)

Will probably be asking lots of questions. Been learning a lot just by reading through the forum.

I am located on North Shore of Long Island in Stony Brook.

Here are some pics

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
    Bob Gaffney[br]1996 Mako 232b[br]Stony Brook, NY[br]

Nice looking boat.Congrats and welcome aboard!

Comment

Congrats on the new ride. VERY nice!
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes. Today's results were getting the bilge working on auto mode and freeing up a seacock valve that drains the live well. Also pulled an old hummingbird head unit. Left the wires in place so I can fish back transducer cable for my lowrance.

Did some cleaning up of wires to nowhere in the cpak cases. Been poking around under the console and getting a pretty good idea of what needs to be done (a lot)

Thought I wanted to buy a turn key classic mako but I am enjoying getting my hands dirty and getting to know the boat. The more I poke around the more I see just how solid these boats are.

Comment

Very solid boats.Are you planning on any major projects over the winter?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

Very solid boats.Are you planning on any major projects over the winter?

Thanks Daniel. I am thinking this would make a good winter project:

[img][/img]

Comment

Nice boat! No such thing as a turnkey though...there is always something. Have you thought about a fused panel?...Blue Sea makes a nice one..good luck!
              [/URL]

Comment

Yikes. I'd start with a heavy dose of Corrosion Block on those terminals and every other connector on the boat. No telling what the bilge wiring looks like if that is under the console.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Yikes. I'd start with a heavy dose of Corrosion Block on those terminals and every other connector on the boat. No telling what the bilge wiring looks like if that is under the console.

Sounds like I have some work to do!!

Will be replacing the switch panel. It is pretty much shot. Water pressure hose or speedo hose cracked/pin hole leak at some point and got salt water on the terminal block /switches/fuses. Knew that before I bought the boat. Most of the connections outside the periphery of switches look fine (deck lights wires/connections inside console show no corrosion). All the connections outside of terminal block look/feel ok. But you never know till you really start digging and re-connecting and running a load through it all.

Comment

Yes sir that makes an excellent winter project[]

Comment

I picked up an old Mako Switch panel from a Classic Mako Member. Used the guts of it as a temporary wiring job. Still a few months of fall fishing up here and wanted things to work before the winter re-wire. Here is the after picture of what the panel looks like now. Tomorrow I will hook everything up. Waiting on one new switch as well.

Question: Where is the "Fish Box" pump located on my boat? And Where is the "Deck Wash"? Were these options and not on every boat, even though panel is labeled such?

[img][/img]

Comment

I picked up an old Mako Switch panel from a Classic Mako Member. Used the guts of it as a temporary wiring job. Still a few months of fall fishing up here and wanted things to work before the winter re-wire. Here is the after picture of what the panel looks like now. Tomorrow I will hook everything up. Waiting on one new switch as well.

Question: Where is the "Fish Box" pump located on my boat? And Where is the "Deck Wash"? Were these options and not on every boat, even though panel is labeled such?

[img][/img]

Comment

Welcome to the madness, Clean looking rig too! Suggest applying dielectric grease on all those terminals. Not sure that all boats have wash down pumps. We installed one in our 250. Live well pump should be connected to high speed pick up with shutoff valve. Check previous threads which show the pumping for your boat.
                          Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Welcome to the madness, Clean looking rig too! Suggest applying dielectric grease on all those terminals. Not sure that all boats have wash down pumps. We installed one in our 250. Live well pump should be connected to high speed pick up with shutoff valve. Check previous threads which show the pumping for your boat.
                            Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by keyman

The live well pump I found no problem (in the bilge at the stern.) There is a switch on my control panel that says "Fishboxes", which I have read is a macerator pump......but I can not find where it is located. The 2 fishboxes under the forward seating drain right to the deck. The in floor fishbox in the forward section has a drain at the bottom, but not sure if that is hooked up to a pump, or just conduit that drains to the bilge.

Comment

Working...
                              X