Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New from South Jersey!! More pics uploaded!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from South Jersey!! More pics uploaded!!!

Hey guys! I'm new around these parts. A buddy of mine and myself went halves on a 1978 21' Mako CC with a 1987 175 Johnson ocean runner on it. It needs some TLC, but nothing we can't handle, plus it runs great! We couldn't turn it down for the price. We do have a few Issues though. Well only one big issue. It came with bennett trim tabs, which had a siexed motor pump. The local Marine supply (eastern marine in delaware) had a lenco retrofit kit that i swapped over. When we first took the boat out (with the nonworking bennett tabs) the boat would lean hard left on plane. I could sit on the gunnel and kinda level it out. Now after i swapped over to the lenco actuators, when we get on plane, it will lean hard left or right and the are in the stow position. It almost feels like depending on what tab grabs first thats the way it leans and when it does it will lean hard hard hard left or right. I have to slow down to have it correct itself. Any suggestions? I was beating around on the hull to feel for any soft spots but everything is solid. I'm thinking about just removing the tabs all together. It does seem like gomer put them on in his back yard somewhere. Any ideas would be much appreciated. THANKS!!!

Welcome to the ADDICTION!

Where are they located on the transom? Are they closer to center or are they more outboard? There are many 21's on the forum that run tabs and I would not take them off but they need to be installed in the correct location and be the correct size. How big are the tabs?
    Just call me \"J.\"[br]77 Mako 21 Project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35110[br]85 Mako 17 / 90 ETEC - SOLD[br]Wilmington, NC[br]

Comment

They are towards the keel of the boat. I know that you are supposed to be like 6-8 inches from the keel at minimum and thats about where they are. I feel as if they should be more towards the chine, but I'm not sure. I believe they are 9x10's? i havent measured them.

Comment

Hey, I'm nearby in pville! Bought my 19 this spring...putting Bennett's on this fall.
        Salem County, NJ[br]Whaler 15 SS (sold)[br]Mako 191[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jchandler21

They are towards the keel of the boat. I know that you are supposed to be like 6-8 inches from the keel at minimum and thats about where they are. I feel as if they should be more towards the chine, but I'm not sure. I believe they are 9x10's? i havent measured them.

Should be 6-8" from the chine, not the keel. Post a picture of your transom and WELCOME!
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I will post a picture when i figure out how to haha. I took the actuators and the tabs off yesterday before i went out yesterday. No issues walking left and right anymore. still leans a little left but not as bad. I feel if i put the actuators and tabs back on and move them more in between the chine and keel everything will get better.

Comment

this is the setup with the old bennett tabs. See how close to the keel they are?

Comment

A picture can say a thousand words...

They are too close to the keel and need to be more towards the chine. Here is a photo of mine. These were already installed when I bought the boat and I believe they should be down a few inches from the corner.

Just call me \"J.\"[br]77 Mako 21 Project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35110[br]85 Mako 17 / 90 ETEC - SOLD[br]Wilmington, NC[br]

Comment

I had a feeling they were to close to the keel. Just the tought of adjusting somethongs center of gravity at its pivot point made me think something was wrong. It seems like the farther out you go the less reaction you have but better stability. I will be filling in the whole and positioning them out further this week. ill post some more pics of the boat in just a few minutes.

Comment

Heres what a typical weekend on the delaware river looks like for me haha

Comment

The tabs should be 1.5 inches from the outer chine

Comment

JC....welcome to da club. Nice to see another member from JRZ []

Nice boat....you pick this one up in Williamstown buy any chance? Looks like one that was listed for sale locally.

Anyhow....good advice given here already in regards to the trim tab location.

Properly installed trim tabs make a huge improvement in boat handling on almost any boat...certainly the mako21.

They will help your boat operate as intended over a broader range of conditions.

Keep em'....relocate and enjoy the added control.
                        A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
                        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Polelock, it was in mays landing, and I got a great deal on it. I'm definitely gonna doubt them in the proper position. Any added stability is a plus in my book. Where about are you located?

Comment

I went to look at that boat when it was for sale, the "lean" is most likely due to water in the foam. The floor wasn't solid at all, take a look at the foam, I believe it has open cell foam that year.

Matty
                            1987 Mako 21 w/ 2013 Yamaha F150[br]Don\'t stare at the Mako too long, the lines are seducing![br]

Comment

Hey Pole I think I bought the boat from williamstown/cedarbrook area!!!!

jc~~~ they are great boats! good luck with her! I put 70 hours on mine since Aug 8th lol!!!
                              1987 Mako 21 w/ 2013 Yamaha F150[br]Don\'t stare at the Mako too long, the lines are seducing![br]

Comment

Working...
                              X