New Mako owner onboard 1977 Mako 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mako owner onboard 1977 Mako 20

Hi everyone and thanks for reading my post.

Well I finally did it. My first boat. My jet ski will miss me. I've loved these boats for a longtime and finally saw one popup on Craigslist. I think I did ok for $3500. Asking $3800 for a 20 with a 1992 Johnson 150 HP/BRP side shifter w/trim and ignition (new). Entire topside gunwale gel coated. Bow rails removed and holes filled. Left holes from what i think was from the windlass. The entire inside of boat is oxidized and power washer left milky white pools. will wax soon. The console was striped of some analog gauges. Left the original compass, trim and sped. Storage box and door missing. Anchor door missing bottom of frame. four nice rod holders on gunwales. Auto bilge that stays on beyond 2 minute cycle at times. Transom support plate. Electrical bird nest under console. and last but not least...a gas leak from my 42 gallon fill up. Yes he left me with only a gallon of gas. So I took it out for a spin and made it 10 miles at full throttle before the hesitation started. Hobbled into the nearest marina---blah-blah-blah-got it on the trailer and saw my bilge filled with water and gas (bilge pump fuse blown). Oh crap!! tank leak? Fuel line? Filler tube? Drained about 30 gallons of waterGasFoam slurry. Thinking I lost 15+ gallons of gas I removed the gas gauge to find fuel level about 3-4 in. from neck. 10 miles=gal. of gas? So hopefully the fuel line from primer to fuel filter is culprit. Anyways I will post pics and update later today. Thanks for any tips!!
    1977 Mako 20[br]

Welcome!Sounds like you got a few issues to work out[]

Comment

Well I got 10 feet of fuel line from a marina store (so it cost me a bit more) and changed line. Upon inspection I found a crack right at the fuel filter. Changed out the filter and it ran nice in driveway. Now i need to figure out the electrical. Lotsa wires and no place to go. Cant find wiring diagram for my controller. Will post pics soon.
      1977 Mako 20[br]

Comment

Did that stop fuel leak in bilge ?

Comment

No fuel in bilge. New line took me 5 minutes to replace. Cant believe someone would change line to engine from filter and not the primer to filter line. Sure it may have cost $40 but that caused me a big headache. The fuel gauge was touching part of the tank and wasn't floating properly. Need to replace that with something better. I will fill up the tank a little more to make sure that the line was the source of leak. I did have some over spill when I first filled it and maybe gas got in through neck somehow. I will trouble shoot some more. Any advice on what to do overall on this boat would be appreciated. Again will post pics as soon as I sign up on photo bucket .

Thanks
          1977 Mako 20[br]

Comment

Well as far as advice goes I know you probably don't want to hear but leak is coming from fill hose or tank with a 70 percent probability.Not 100 percent sure but strong possibilities.I would thoroughly check everything

Comment

I think your right. I washed and dried the entire bilge compartment and the smell of gas dissipated. I moved the boat around to another spot and the smell of gas came back. So the hole must be above current tank level i'm thinking. I see two panels under the console. One is the tank coffin. The other?? Filler pipe access maybe. Well I guess I need to find the level where the link starts and bring backup tank until it's fixed. Should I go with aluminum or plastic on the replacement. Thanks
              1977 Mako 20[br]

Comment

just changed my tank and when i removed it the pipe under the deck just crumbled had to take a the metal out for fill and vent and go all hose. Hope your fix is simpler.

Comment

Working...
                X