New owner 1973 Mako 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner 1973 Mako 17

Just started the project and I have looked around for a little bit for what size/2 or 4-stroke motor to throw on, and what has worked for everyone, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The boat will be used on fresh water mostly with a few trips to Florida a year. I believe its rated for a 115 but that was meant for a 70s model. Thanks

Welcome and congrats!115 Yamaha that I have is pretty easy on fuel.I don't know about fuel consumption of the 4 stroke counterparts but I do know they are a little heavier so in my mind trade off

Comment

Thank you, I was thinking along those lines. Of course cost an availability will be the factor... I will just have to live on the local craigslist for a while haha. Glad to find this site by the way. I'll post pictures soon it's to bad I couldn't get one of what it originally looked like.

Comment

Congrats on the 17! They are tanks. I have a 1971 with a Merc 125 on it. My 17 is rated for 135 hp per the capacity plate. Most people are happy with a 90 or 115 on their 17. One issue that you will have to deal with is the weight. I think my merc weighs about 350lbs and puts the scuppers right at the water line. We need to plug them when the boat is in the water. It is not an issue as we installed transom splash guards to keep most of the water out and others have installed bilges on the deck. If the boat doesn't have trim tabs, add that to your list. $ for $ they are the best investment I have made on the boat. Makes it ride more like a 20+ft boat. I went with the bennett M-120s and they have worked great. Post up some pics of the boat when you get the chance
        Steve[br]Wayne PA[br]1971 Mako 17 with a 2001 Merc 125 (sold...missing here already)[br]1989 Mako 250 with twin 2001 yamaha hpdi 200s

Comment

My first had a 90 Merc, top end was around 33 mph and I underpropped a little to have more oomph for skiing and heavy loads. Second had a 115 Johnson with uneven compression and maxed out around 36. Figure close to 40 mph for a strong 115. The biggest advantage to that isn't top end, but having a 25 mph cruise at less than 4500 rpm.

Pre-'83 or so 17' was not self-bailing.

If your transom is solid, a 90 or 115 4 stroke is not ridiculously heavy. The old 90/115/135 Johnson weighed about 300. I believe the 90/115 4-strokes are 400ish. Personally, if I had one and was doing much flats fishing, I'd try to find an old 2-stroke yammie 90 that weighs 250 pounds. If I went 4stroke, I'd like the 140 zuke at 400 pounds, but I haven't shopped the newer, lighter Honda and Yamaha models.

One guy on here with a 90 Honda was getting over 6 mpg at cruise. Pretty cheap fishing at that rate.

Love that boat.
          Sold the 17\', moved to FL... I need a new handle.[br]1991 Jupiter 31, current project[br]2005 Everglades 243, sold[br]2012 Contender 23 Open sold[br]1989 Intrepid 246 WA--gone to Australia[br]1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets[br]1992 Mako 17--started it all[br]Pompano, FL

Comment

This has been really helpful. I pulled the console and old wires off today. I should have it rewired by the end of the week. The transom is solid so from reading what everyone has said I have my options open which makes life easier with searching. I'm going to try and find a 115. While the search is going on I will focus on detailing the deck and console.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X