Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering

I am now the new owner of a 185 17' . It is in need of lots of love and imam willing. I changed the rub rail, it looks Antarctic but definitely ad partner from the Makolook. I am also going to switch out the oldbrown plastic wheele for a new chrome one, sorry. Can anyone offer any guidance for changing the steering out ? I have a 90 hp Johnson SPl

If you have cable steering undo a cotter key and rotate the wheel till the tiller comes out the helm.Some helms you can't service you just got to see which one you have.Get a picture of it and post it up to where we can see what you have

Comment

If you have cable steering undo a cotter key and rotate the wheel till the tiller comes out the helm.Some helms you can't service you just got to see which one you have.Get a picture of it and post it up to where we can see what you have

Comment

Thanks Daniel. What length cable do I need for my 17 ?

Comment

Thanks Daniel. What length cable do I need for my 17 ?

Comment

Measure from your helm to rigging tube.Add your rigging tube measurement,Then add your last bit from tube to motor.I go about 1 foot over to make sure it's enough

Comment

Measure from your helm to rigging tube.Add your rigging tube measurement,Then add your last bit from tube to motor.I go about 1 foot over to make sure it's enough

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by b.robbbo

I am now the new owner of a 185 17' . It is in need of lots of love and imam willing. I changed the rub rail, it looks Antarctic but definitely ad partner from the Makolook. I am also going to switch out the oldbrown plastic wheele for a new chrome one, sorry. Can anyone offer any guidance for changing the steering out ? I have a 90 hp Johnson SPl

Best way to pop that existing wheel off is to use 2 dead blow hammers. Put one with the hammering surface on the shaft with the nut backed out to protect the top of the shafts threads and the handle under the outer edge of the wheel. Then take the 2nd dead blow and hit the top of the hammer wedged in the wheel and presto it will pop off after you move the hammers handle around the wheel and give it a few whacks. I talked HDdave into changing his with one I pulled off a Caroliba Skiff and it looks sooo much better than the plastic fantastic. As for the cable length, just remove the one you have and get the same length if it worked well...
                1992 Mako 211 with a 2008 F250 Yamaha <<<SOLD [br]Current >>> 2486 CC Triton Honda 150 vtecs[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by b.robbbo

Best way to pop that existing wheel off is to use 2 dead blow hammers. Put one with the hammering surface on the shaft with the nut backed out to protect the top of the shafts threads and the handle under the outer edge of the wheel. Then take the 2nd dead blow and hit the top of the hammer wedged in the wheel and presto it will pop off after you move the hammers handle around the wheel and give it a few whacks. I talked HDdave into changing his with one I pulled off a Caroliba Skiff and it looks sooo much better than the plastic fantastic. As for the cable length, just remove the one you have and get the same length if it worked well...
                  1992 Mako 211 with a 2008 F250 Yamaha <<<SOLD [br]Current >>> 2486 CC Triton Honda 150 vtecs[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X