Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Hollywood, FL - new to CM Forum

Friends:

Hope you are all well. I am a boater, fisherman and diver in South Florida for 35 years. Have owned many boats, but this is my first Mako. It's a 1990 Mako 211 Law Enforcement Edition. I got a great deal on the boat and it was in great shape. Not a project boat. I got it with twin 1998 Evinrude 115 loopers and just repowered with a Zuke DF 175. Previous boat was a Contender 25' with twin E-TECS. I was looking to downsize a little and still have a boat to fish well offshore and in the Bahamas.

Well, though I am on many Forums, I can't figure out how to post up some pix here. Will figure it out and add later.

Juani
    1990 Mako 211 \"Law Enforcement Edition\" with 2013 Suzuki DF 175[br]2008 13\' Tracker V-Bottom with four stroke 15 Merc[br]1995 Classic Contender 25 with Twin E-Tec 150s (sold)[br]1987 Oceanic 21 with Rude 200 OceanPro (sold)[br]Hollywood, FL[br][br]

http://captjuanboating.shutterfly.com/pictures/17
    1990 Mako 211 \"Law Enforcement Edition\" with 2013 Suzuki DF 175[br]2008 13\' Tracker V-Bottom with four stroke 15 Merc[br]1995 Classic Contender 25 with Twin E-Tec 150s (sold)[br]1987 Oceanic 21 with Rude 200 OceanPro (sold)[br]Hollywood, FL[br][br]

Comment

Welcome to CM! That is a beautiful 211!!!! Definitely post some performance numbers with the Suzy 175. To post pictures, you need to copy the IMG code and paste it here. I didn't see an easy link on the web link you posted above.

Dtmackey has the same FWC model boat as your and has done quite a bit of work - both your boats are on the same level and look very nice. There will be a couple of guys on here happy to know there is another black boat. [8D]
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome sailor.

Here's some performance info with the new Zuke. However, I have no baseline or comparison. I never took her out with the twin Rudes. Boat went straight to the Zuke dealer in Pompano Beach, FL that had actually done a few 211s with 175s.

At WOT, with a full tank (86 gallons) and three men aboard, we reached 5300 RPMs and 33 knots (38 mph), burning 14 gallons an hour. This is right where I expected. It is not a speed demon, but efficient. We found a nice cruise of 24 knots (28 mph), at 4100 RPMs, and a 7 gallon an hour fuel burn. Thats Bimini in good conditions in under 2 hours and in around 12 gallons. I am lovin that.

I will post up better pix soon.

Tight lines!

Comment

The only thing I could see doing to your boat is getting some custom white registration numbers made up. Should cost between $20-30. Did you buy the boat already re-painted?
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Funny you noticed. I already replaced the mailbox sticker numbers with white decals. The previous owner painted the hull and slapped them on. The paint job is average at best, though. Looks good from afar but far from good. [] I also have a blue deck that needs some touching up, like some Makos back in the 70s before the "burn off the soles of your feet mustard yellow."

However, my aim is to spend my precious spare time fishing, not sanding, prepping, painting and polishing. For that, I enjoy the heck out of seeing the classic re-builds on this awesome site.

J

Comment

Scrap the performance numbers I wrote above. When I called the dealer and went through them, the boat is clearly not propped correctly. It currently has a 15.25 x 21 (pitch) prop. It is over-pitched. I was only getting a top RPM of 5300, when I should be north of 5850 on that engine. Plus, the hole shot is off. So, it's going back Friday to switch out the prop for a 19 pitch and also to add a spacer beneath my throttle since it lays down flat right against my Chart Plotter at WOT, preventing me from opening it up completely. I will report back next week on the performance and efficiency. I am a little perplexed because the dealership said they seatrialed the boat. Oh well. J

Comment

I would post in the Motor Mouth section with a description of your boat. We have quite a few members that are VERY good at helping with props. I've read that Suzuiki props are notoriously wrong from the dealer so you have to deal with that as well.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Thanks Sailor. Will do.

Comment

Although you pinged me on my engine thread, let me extend a real welcome on your FNG post!

To the rest of the forum, Juan is a heck of a guy, and a hardcore S FL fisherman...chatted with him a lot on a swordfishing forum.

Good to see you here Juan! If you haven't lurked this site, you will find there are a lot great folks here, and THE definitive source for all things Mako.

I am sure you'll be re-transoming your sled in no time!

Tight Lines!

DonK
                    [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

Don, you too are a heck of a guy. A renaissance man. Have you started posting up any awesome recipes here? [] Hope so.

Re-transoming? I hope not. Don't bust my b#lls like that. [:0] The transom is solid. The 211 law enforcement edition is actually a beefier boat. It has a ton more glass and foam than the regular 211. It also has more weight. I can tell you there is no flex or give in the transom. When the old engines were removed, I inspected the holes before the dealer inserted glass dowels and sealed and the interior of the transom was bone-dry. No moisture. When the new holes were drilled for a single engine set up, I also inspected the new holes and they were dry and solid. As I have mentioned, this is not a project boat nor did I want one. I wanted a solid, fish-ready used boat with new power that I would install and lower fuel and upkeep costs. That's how I ended up with the Mako. I spent 7 months researching and looking around for the right boat since I sold my Contender in September of last year. All along, I was looking for a 20 - 23' CC with single, four stroke power. I looked at several restored Seacraft 21s (both potter and tracker hulls), two Contender 21s, an Edgewater 21 and a Bluewater 21 but quickly learned they were above my budget if truly restored or fish ready. Then I started looking at Makos. One of my neighbors growing up had a '79 Mako 23 (modified v)and I remember it being a very solid fishing boat but a little rough on the ride in a chop. Plus, I got 3rd degree burns from the floor every time I ventured out. However, in sea-trialing a few later model Makos (211, 221, and a 241) I experienced a solid ride...much better than that old 23 I rode as a kid.

Anyway, I should be done with all my engines issues and upgrades in the next couple weeks. Then I want to lay a slob sword across the stern from gunnel to gunnel. []

Finally, Don, I won't be able to fish your GEM tourney, but boy have I enjoyed all the emails, especially some lovely pix of lovely ladies fishing. []

Be well.

Juani

Comment

With 19 pitch prop. (Boat heavier on sea trial)

Full tank of gas (86 gallons), five adults and 1 child, packed cooler, barbecue, and several floats and rafts. E-NE winds at 20+ mph. White caps on Biscayne Bay.

At WOT, we reached 5850 RPMs and 35 mph, while burning 15 gallons an hour. We found a nice cruise of 25 mph, at 4650 RPMs, and a 7.2 gallon an hour fuel burn. Quicker hole shot.

Numbers betweem 21 and 19 pitch props are not too far apart. I'll maybe try a 20.

Juan

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Juan

Re-transoming? I hope not. Don't bust my b#lls like that. [:0] The transom is solid. The 211 law enforcement edition is actually a beefier boat. It has a ton more glass and foam than the regular 211.

And they absorb water just like any other Mako on this site.[]

Welcome to Classic Mako from another 211 owner that is also the law edition (a.k.a FMP for Florida Marine Patrol). They are heavier and well built, but they transoms absorb water with the best of them and the weak point for water entry on mine was the bronze sleeved holes for the bilge drain and also dech drains. Some of the FMP boats spend lots of time in the water and possibly in an area with stray electrical current, so they failed at an early stage and I bought one of those. No biggie since the purchase was made with the intension of a new transom and I had several years before I decided to tackle and actually raised it to a 30" transom (long story).

You are welcome to click on the Mako project in my signature and see the beginning to current project over 7 years. I'm now rigging with a 250 E-tec upgrading from a 2004 DI 250. I love looking over other 211 boats for ideas.[8D]

D-
                          Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Grrrr. I just typed a long response and lost it. Because I had not logged in.

Anyway, thanks for your candor and comments DT. I have seen your rebuild. It's awesome. Congrats.

As a longtime boater, I am keenly aware of water and transoms. However, so far so good and I am remaining optimistic I won't have to tackle any transom issues for some time.

A few thoughts on E-TECS as the former owner of twin 2010 150s on a Contender 25.

Positives first - Great warranty. No service for first three years (at least that's what the paperwork says). Light. Pretty. Quiet. Great torque. Great acceleration and throttle response. Great gauges.

Negatives - Power trim and tilt problems. Starter problems. Fuse problem at engine. Throttles on the stiff side even when adjusted. Fuel pump problems. Corrosion issues, almost immediately even with meticulous rinsing and spraying with CRC, on engine mount brackets and on steeting arm mount. Cowling handles seize almost immediately. They corrode on the inside and the outside handle portion is made from a cheap plastic that breaks if you force it. I also never got the fuel economy I had hoped. A bud with my same former boat, a Contender 25, but rigged with twin Yami 150 four strokes, always did better than me on fuil burn, like 15% better, which is huge when island hopping. And you have to buy that very expensive Johnson 2 cycle oil. Can't skimp. I will tell you that after the break in period, the E-TECS only sipped oil. But still, an expensive cost beyond fuel.

Anyway, good luck with the E-TEC. Inquire on all issues above. I did not have a lemon as issues happened with both engines. I had a '92 Evinrude 200 Ocean Pro on a 21' Oceanic which was a beast. I am not a Johnson/Rude detractor.

Anyway, I will continue monitoring my performance numbers with the Zuke and report in the motor section. I have yet to go fishing on the new boat nor venture offshore. Work and the WX here in cloudy S. Florida have not been favorable.

Tight lines!!!

Juani (Johnny in Espanol)

Comment

And here's an image gallery on the variety of fishing I do in South Florida and what I hope to be doing on my new old Mako soon. [8D]

http://swordfishingcentral.com/forum...php?albumid=26

Comment

Working...
                              X