Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    Sorry that deal fell through.It doesn't matter what you end up getting every one here is more than willing to help you!This is one great community.

Leave a comment:

• MichiganMark
    replied
    I wanted to post a "wrap up" of sorts.

Looks like I'm going to go a different direction for a couple of reasons.

The seller has added a bigger trailer and several new items, and has tweaked up the price along with it. I still think it looks like a good deal, but it would deplete my "first boat fund" too low for all the other stuff that it takes to be properly prepped and on the water.

Back to the boat itself, the seller is now calling it a barn find, stored indoors for the last 20 years. It does look really clean for its age to me. Maybe it's something others on the board would be interested in. Go for it! The link above is working and going to the most recent version of the add as I type this.

Makos will remain on my short list of wanted models. But I'm making an offer on a 1979 19-6 Aquasport Family Fisherman today. 150 horse 1984 Johnson(with a stumble that needs to be addressed). Good condition, and killer deal because the owner is getting ordinance violation tickets over it!

...and finally, thanks for the response and advise. Great board you guys have here. Obviously, tons of knowledge and helpful people! Ill probably keep lurking, sucking up advise on all the stuff thats not Mako specific.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    Tell you what looks like it is a promising deal.Good luck and if all goes good its yours

Leave a comment:

• MichiganMark
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

Welcome.The tank should be in floor under console.Look on outside of hull for any cracks which may lead to a broken stringer.Make sure no soft spots on floor and see if there is any flexing in transom.Look for signs of stress cracks in laminate around transom.See if bilge is dry if not maybe there is wet foam.See if you can smell fuel in bilge indicating tank or line leak maybe that's why he was running portable fuel tank.Hope that helps[]

Thanks! I'm hoping to check it out this weekend.
    The guy selling it has updated the listing with new/more pics.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/3718942115.html

It looks better in the newer pics than I thought it would, so my excitment has racheted up!

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    Welcome.The tank should be in floor under console.Look on outside of hull for any cracks which may lead to a broken stringer.Make sure no soft spots on floor and see if there is any flexing in transom.Look for signs of stress cracks in laminate around transom.See if bilge is dry if not maybe there is wet foam.See if you can smell fuel in bilge indicating tank or line leak maybe that's why he was running portable fuel tank.Hope that helps[]

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MichiganMark
    started a topic Newbie looking at a 19' Mako

Newbie looking at a 19' Mako

Hello!

New member and first post.

I've always loved the Mako's and am looking hard at one near by on CL. I was hoping for any feedback or advice. Thing's to look for and or stay away from and what not.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/3718942115.html

So far I've gotten from the owner that it's a "about a 72 or 74" and the Merc is a 78. That was in response to standard year/make/model questions so I could do my research.

I've spent several hours now reading up on this forum and the web about these and am starting to think it's likely to need more work than I was hoping to get into at this time. Like: looks like he's running accessory gas tanks, and I thought this model had the transom tank. Origanl tank rotted or am I mistaken on the origanal set up? (I asked this specific question, and he has replied several times without answering it.)

This would really be my "first" boat, although I've been around small power boats and the water my whole life. I'm a fair shade tree mechanic, with easy access to better mechanics, but they aren't boat guys.

I have been shopping around for any brand fish and ski (tube) type craft between $2000-4000 when this popped up. I need something for mostly for small water, with a few day trips on the Great Lakes and Detroit river for walleye and perch.

I'd LOVE for this Mako to be the ticket, but I don't want to have to jump rite into a major overhaul at this time. No garage, and limited "fun money".

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

-Mark
Working...
X