Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    The wax you don't spray.The pva is sprayed.You rub wax by hand and I will dedicate a buffing pad and use electric buffer to speed that up.Pva is sprayed after your wax

Leave a comment:

• Albert Jr.
    replied
    I plan to go into the boat building business.

I see this opportunity to use this hull just as a starter.

One question that hunts me the most is,

When I spray the wax on the hull, how can I get it off ?

Leave a comment:

• ssfishx
    replied
    If you were going to use the hull as a plug to pull a mold you can fair the hull first. a properly built mold will result in an exact copy of the original plug - dents, dings, scratches and all.

unless you plan to go into boat production the cost of a good mold is going to be insanely expensive compared to repairing a used boat.

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    The mold release wax I use is rexco formula 5 in which I lay 4 coats in the part and spray 5 coats of pva which is partall film 10.The imperfections are for instance dents in wood or chips in mold surface that you can't see well after waxing.If you can find a surface like glass or Formica you should be ahead of the game.It wouldn't hurt to shoot gelcoat in the mold and block sand it smooth then do wax.Gelcoat is thick enough to cover blemishes in mold surfaces

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    The mold release wax I use is rexco formula 5 in which I lay 4 coats in the part and spray 5 coats of pva which is partall film 10.The imperfections are for instance dents in wood or chips in mold surface that you can't see well after waxing.If you can find a surface like glass or Formica you should be ahead of the game.It wouldn't hurt to shoot gelcoat in the mold and block sand it smooth then do wax.Gelcoat is thick enough to cover blemishes in mold surfaces

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Albert Jr.
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by leinad624

You are asking for it[]Lots of work involved.Its not like making a one time mold you will destroy when done.Lots of fairing just to get it right.I know some boat builders around my area that build shrimp boats and they claim it took a couple years to get it right.Plus figure a way you can break it apart to reuse again if you wish.Just from my molds I made you will need lots of mold release wax and pva.Then once you do that shoot heavy shoots of gelcoat and lay up your glass to the thickness you want then pop it out.If you did good it will be great but almost sure any minor imperfection will show up in the gelcoat

Alright thanks.

Which mold release wax brand would you recommend and what are the most common imperfections ?

Also how do I apply the non-skid ?

Leave a comment:

• Albert Jr.
    replied
    quote:

You are asking for it[]Lots of work involved.Its not like making a one time mold you will destroy when done.Lots of fairing just to get it right.I know some boat builders around my area that build shrimp boats and they claim it took a couple years to get it right.Plus figure a way you can break it apart to reuse again if you wish.Just from my molds I made you will need lots of mold release wax and pva.Then once you do that shoot heavy shoots of gelcoat and lay up your glass to the thickness you want then pop it out.If you did good it will be great but almost sure any minor imperfection will show up in the gelcoat

Alright thanks.

Which mold release wax brand would you recommend and what are the most common imperfections ?

Leave a comment:

• Albert Jr.
    replied
    quote:

Alright thanks.

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Albert Jr.
    started a topic Mold popping

Mold popping

Hi guys.

I've struck a deal with my uncle that he will buy a 19 foot cc and that I will take care of restoring it together with my cousin.

We're thinking of going with a Mako or Seacraft.

If we decide on the Seacraft, I would really want to pop a mold out of it.

My questions are...

How do you do it ?

What do you need ?

Is it legal to brand a 30 year old hull (so to use it as a model from your brand)

Will it be worth to pop the molds ?
Working...
X