Finally got a Mako!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a Mako!!!

Just picked up a 1973 Mako 19! '98 Merc 135. Previous owner took very good care of it. The only thing wrong other than some cleaning, and minor cosmetic repairs, is a bad gas tank. I already added two 12 gallon topside tanks. I plan on replacing the under deck tank next winter. Has anyone replaced their tank with one bigger than the 32 gallon that came with the boat? I can't wait to catch some stripers!
    Sewell, NJ

Congrats and welcome
    1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Congrats!I don't know if you could get away without cutting up some floor though and maybe moving a bulkhead back

Comment

Congratulations and welcome!
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Another fellow JRZ ClassicMako member...

Congratulations on taking ownership of a classic Mako19. A great fishing platform...this hull is capable of fishing the shallows in the back bays and can handle the open bay/inshore ocean surprisingly well. A very versatile small watercraft.

I'm in the same boat as you...pun intended here []. I have a 1972 Mako19 that is currently under the knife. It started with a tank replacement that turned into "well... while I'm at it...might as well do this and than that" you get the picture. Still gettin after it as of late.

You asked about installing a larger tank....sure you can put in a larger capacity tank. It will require cutting out and/or modifying the coffin area below deck. But use caution, because once the first cut is made it can get out of hand quickly[]

Again congrats...and post up some pics of your 19.

Oh yeah... I see your from Sewell....that's my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Washington TWP....still in the area if you ever want to meet and talk Mako's.

edit: here's the link to my project

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=40429
          A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
          https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

So, do I open it up, measure the space, and see what tank will fit? Is there a certain amount of clearance required between the tank and bulkheads and coffin box lid?
            Sewell, NJ

Comment

Welcome to the site
              1990 - 261 [br]1968 -19 (First 40)[br][email protected]

Comment

Here are some pictures. The front seat now has a new cushion. I'm currently working on polishing it, getting the name painted on by a friend of my daughter's, and installing my fly rod holders. I can't wait to get some stripers!

Sewell, NJ

Comment

Here are some pictures. The front seat now has a new cushion. I'm currently working on polishing it, getting the name painted on by a friend of my daughter's, and installing my fly rod holders. I can't wait to get some stripers!

Sewell, NJ

Comment

Sewell, NJ

Comment

congraduation Doc go to u tube they have some good videos on replacing tank Just bought my first Classic too a 1979 19b best of fishing to you RP
                      r pratto

Comment

congraduation Doc go to u tube they have some good videos on replacing tank Just bought my first Classic too a 1979 19b best of fishing to you RP
                        r pratto

Comment

r pratto

Comment

Working...
                          X