New from Long Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Long Island

Hey guys hows it going! I have been searching threads along with the classifieds here for a while now, just haven't posted anything so I figure I will introduce myself before I start asking questions. I'm located on the south shore of Long Island, Blue Point to be exact and currently searching for a 21-23 Mako. Right now I have a 1986 Starcraft (Fiberglass) Medalist 1901 bow rider. Its a fun boat but the chop in the bay can beat you up a bit. My grandfather had an 80's 224 that rode great, I also have a few buddies that own Makos as well so I am slightly familiar with these boats.

My most current find is a 1973 22, that needs alot of work such as floors and a transom, but the hull is solid and the price is right. Just slightly concerned about the ride with the modified-v opposed to the deep-v... any input would be appreciated! Thanks all...

Welcome to the obsession-A friend of mine has a '72 22' that she uses in the waters around Nantucket. Have yet to see any (reasonable) weather that her boat could not handle. Ride is certainly acceptable and her old Johnson 150 could get her up around 42 MPH. We will see this summer what numbers she comes up with on her new (used) Johnson 200 Ocean Runner[]
    \'69 Mako 19 \'08 ETEC 115[br]\'82 Tiara 25 Rebuilt \'91 Yamaha 250[br]Nantucket, MA[br]Ventura, CA[br]Gone but not forgotten: \'69 Whaler 13 Evinrude 33[br]

Comment

I have a 23 that I can attest is a battle tank!Lots of stuff has been thrown at her in the past and hopefully when I finish her she will last another 40 years plus

Comment

Welcome Its nice to see someone else from the South Shore of Long Island. If you check out Craigslist longisland there are some Makos listed and there always seems to be Makos listed around the island. I don't know what price range you looking at but there are some listed in all prices. Check it out there are also some that I would walk away from.
        88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

Comment

Welcome to the madness! Personally I would try to find one at the right price that has already had quality work to it. They are around you may just have to be patient. I think there were only a handful of classic makos in the deep V category but I forget the specifics
          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

They seem to be lots of 25 for sale in the south if willing to drive.I know it's bigger than what you looking for but they are tanks too

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate all the replies and advice! I'm sure as the weather warms up more will pop up for sale also. I'd really enjoy to do with work myself but I think it makes a little more sense to find something ready to go. Preferably I would like a 22-23 center console.

Comment

Any thoughts on this boat? Looks clean. This would be a cheaper alternate to doing a transom, deck and powering the 22 I was looking at.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3708994266.html

Comment

Cheaper definitely! You didn't mention what power was on the 22? It all depends on how quick you want to be on the water.The one thing about a project boat is you can make it "your own"[]
                  Dave[br]Pleasant Valley,NY[br]86 pursuit 2600 sold[br]71 17 90 neverrude sold[br]89 Pursuit 2100 cc [br]95 17 115 Zuke sold[br]73 23 cc cuddy in progress

Comment

I really do like the "your own" Factor... but right now I'm not convinced I have all the time in the world for a project as much as i would like to. The 22 is a hull only, needs a transom and deck as well... the 1979 235 is ready to go... Hmm

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by treilly520

Any thoughts on this boat? Looks clean. This would be a cheaper alternate to doing a transom, deck and powering the 22 I was looking at.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3708994266.html

It looks and sounds good. I would check it out if you are serious about it. I agree I would stay away with something that needs a new deck for sure unless you were getting a brand new motor on the back. Just to many reasonable priced boats that are much better shape

Good luck
                      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I wouldn't mind it either way being I like to reengineer everything I get my Hans on

Comment

Hey treilly520

I'm from Sayville, so very close to you. I actually just found a 1976 23' center console with a cabin up front, brought it home a week ago. I found it almost on accident because it wasn't in the range that I had been searching on craigslist, but the seller was fairly negotiable. I'll post pictures soon. Good luck with the search!

Comment

The bad thing about a boat that is not ready to go is that you don't know how it rides unless you have been on the same kind, year etc...

Comment

Working...
                            X