Raised in my fathers Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised in my fathers Mako

Hello to everyone, I have lurked for years and really enjoyed all the stories of everyone beloved Makos. I own the same Mako now that was my fathers until his passing in 2011. I still remember the day he brought it home I was about 6 years old around 1985. The Hambone it was named after my fathers favorite place to fish for Bluefin of the coast of VA (aka 26 mile hill) A vintage 1975 Mako 23 I/O fighting chair and all it has seen ALOT from Virginia's eastern shore to Cape Hatters Nc and everything between. Some of which where scary times but most were awsome times, this boat always raised fish. Many engines/drives from the stock sbf 302/188hp/888 drive to the current 351/300hp -Alpha. When you here about people having a special sentimental bond with a boat well that would be me with this old gal. I was raised offshore in this boat ,No doubt shes starting show the years now as the stress cracks develop as do the lines on my face its as if we have aged together. It still has the original floor that will need to be replaced in a few year's but is still decent. Im sure the transom and stringers are not perfect but still pass the visuals. This place is a heaven sent to all who owns a classic Mako and wants to keep em going.

Sorry for the long wind its been a real special part of the memories I have of my father and I together. One hell of a boat!

Welcome to CM, there is lot of gys here who love that model, you will have plenty of help from us helping you bring her back and spending your money[]
    David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Welcome to CM and great story. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Your story and boat mirror my situation.I have a 73 23 with twin 120 Mercruisers my father brought home when I was around that age and still have it right now.I redid transom,stringers, and floor.Transom was wet but no rot anywhere but floor where poorly bedded screws caused that.Decided to replace all with composite to get rid of wood cores.Welcome,get some pics up,and we will help you through it all!That hull is a beast!

Comment

Thank's for the welcome guys!

I will try to post a few pics in the right areas when I figure out how this all works. Even a few from fishing thrue the years. Im going to put off the floor as long as I can its not soft YET but its developing the tell tail cracks so its coming. I built the motor about 20 hours ago carb to oil pan the drive has about 15 hours on it so I hope it to be ok in that area for a while. Working on getting it a little more presentable is the current plan!

Comment

Thank's for the welcome guys!

I will try to post a few pics in the right areas when I figure out how this all works. Even a few from fishing thrue the years. Im going to put off the floor as long as I can its not soft YET but its developing the tell tail cracks so its coming. I built the motor about 20 hours ago carb to oil pan the drive has about 15 hours on it so I hope it to be ok in that area for a while. Working on getting it a little more presentable is the current plan!

Comment

Working...
            X