Newly purchased 1976 Mako 20 resto.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brando
    replied
    You will probably not know the full answer to that until your tearing it apart. That moisture may be in places thats not noticeable.

Welcome to CM

Leave a comment:

• Brasko
    started a topic Newly purchased 1976 Mako 20 resto.

Newly purchased 1976 Mako 20 resto.

Yesterday I purchased a 1976 Mako 20 on a trailer with what year to be determined merc 200 on it. $700 was all it took for me take it home. I'm planning on this being a bit of a project and am not really considering the motor to be of any value.

While inspecting the boat I did confirm there are deck issues, however the transom appears very strong. I am planning on replacing the entire fuel system first and also any decking that needs attention. After that will come roll and tip painting and other cosmetic issues before a re-power.

Questions: Given the transom seems strong, but knowing there might be moisture in it, how comfortable can I be with this part of the structure? Can I get away with only replacing the part of the deck that seems most affected by soft spots (where I need to reattach the leaning post)? Perhaps a list of the order of repairs would be good to put together.

Cheers-
Working...