Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RudeAttitude
    replied
    Definitely not stress cracks. As said, I wouldn't even trailer it with the motor on. Good news is you won't be in limbo about IF a transom job is needed or can you get another season out of it.

DIY: $2K worth materials and alot of blood sweat and tears

Professionally done: $5K is a good starting point

Leave a comment:

• Smokinlmm
    replied
    I agree with the above statement or the owner backed it into something, I had a neighbor back his triton into a brick wall and his transom looked similar...

Leave a comment:

• 1973Mako23
    replied
    That was what I thought was it was in car wreck.You can handle the transom job yourself

Leave a comment:

• slider
    replied
    It looks almost as if that boat may have been rear ended in a car accident the way the transom is pushed in.

Leave a comment:

• CaptJim
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by gmack

Good afternoon guys. Newly transplanted coonass to Houston. Been keeping an eye out for a new boat since moving here. I had to sell my old boat (Kencraft 215) before leaving Louisiana. I came across a 1994 221B that I'm going check out tomorrow. My brother has a 1995 211/22 so I'm a little familiar with the boat. I'm writing to ask if there is anything in particular to this model or Mako's in general I should look out for. I know it's an older boat so obvious things like solid transom will be important. I'm not concerned much about cosmetics or electrical as I can spiffy that up myself.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Gary

Transom - SHOT! I would also inspect the top of the fuel tank for corrosion. Mine is an '82 and it was, but yours is much newer, however, if I had to do any major work on the boat, I'd definitely check the fuel tank.

Leave a comment:

• warthog5
    replied
    quote:

My guess 5K repair from a shop

A lot more than that. That is if you want a top of the line job and want to take the time to fix the bracket also...[you'll have it off...that's the time to do it.]

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied
    I've seen wet wood in transforms that are in better shape than this. My guess 5K repair from a shop

Leave a comment:

• ssfishx
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

My first response was "Holy $hit!" Yes, a transom is definitely in the very near future for that boat. I'm not sure I would even trailer it with the motor mounted on the boat.

x2 [:0][B)]

be real careful moving that boat very far!

Leave a comment:

• Triplecrownnc
    replied
    Looks like someone tried to fill the cracks with silicone[B)]

Leave a comment:

• Sailor
    replied
    My first response was "Holy $hit!" Yes, a transom is definitely in the very near future for that boat. I'm not sure I would even trailer it with the motor mounted on the boat.

Leave a comment:

• ChuckB
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by gmack

I think the bracket needs to come off and a complete or at least partial transom redo will be needed. The transom actually seemed pretty solid, but the cracks look terrible!

Yep...I would assume complete transom job is in order.

Leave a comment:

• gatortail12
    replied
    Looks like some major stress cracks as you indicated and looks like a full transom rebuild would be necessary.

Leave a comment:

• gmack
    replied
    Got to look at the boat today. Nice boat for being almost 20 years old. Motor only has 221 hours. The gas tank cover is soft. Even more concerning is the transom. It looks like the bracket has been bouncing around. The guys "mechanic" added larger backing plates for the bracket bolts, but it was way to late for that. I think the bracket needs to come off and a complete or at least partial transom redo will be needed. The transom actually seemed pretty solid, but the cracks look terrible! What would a transom job cost? Any recommendations for a glass shop in Houston? I'd tackle the tank cover myself.

Here are pictures of the cracking.

Leave a comment:

• gmack
    started a topic New Guy - is this transom shot?

New Guy - is this transom shot?

Good afternoon guys. Newly transplanted coonass to Houston. Been keeping an eye out for a new boat since moving here. I had to sell my old boat (Kencraft 215) before leaving Louisiana. I came across a 1994 221B that I'm going check out tomorrow. My brother has a 1995 211/22 so I'm a little familiar with the boat. I'm writing to ask if there is anything in particular to this model or Mako's in general I should look out for. I know it's an older boat so obvious things like solid transom will be important. I'm not concerned much about cosmetics or electrical as I can spiffy that up myself.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Gary
Working...
X