New Guy - is this transom shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy - is this transom shot?

Good afternoon guys. Newly transplanted coonass to Houston. Been keeping an eye out for a new boat since moving here. I had to sell my old boat (Kencraft 215) before leaving Louisiana. I came across a 1994 221B that I'm going check out tomorrow. My brother has a 1995 211/22 so I'm a little familiar with the boat. I'm writing to ask if there is anything in particular to this model or Mako's in general I should look out for. I know it's an older boat so obvious things like solid transom will be important. I'm not concerned much about cosmetics or electrical as I can spiffy that up myself.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Gary

Got to look at the boat today. Nice boat for being almost 20 years old. Motor only has 221 hours. The gas tank cover is soft. Even more concerning is the transom. It looks like the bracket has been bouncing around. The guys "mechanic" added larger backing plates for the bracket bolts, but it was way to late for that. I think the bracket needs to come off and a complete or at least partial transom redo will be needed. The transom actually seemed pretty solid, but the cracks look terrible! What would a transom job cost? Any recommendations for a glass shop in Houston? I'd tackle the tank cover myself.

Here are pictures of the cracking.

Comment

Looks like some major stress cracks as you indicated and looks like a full transom rebuild would be necessary.

94 241B MAKO[br]2000 293 MAKO

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by gmack

I think the bracket needs to come off and a complete or at least partial transom redo will be needed. The transom actually seemed pretty solid, but the cracks look terrible!

Yep...I would assume complete transom job is in order.
        \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
        \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

My first response was "Holy $hit!" Yes, a transom is definitely in the very near future for that boat. I'm not sure I would even trailer it with the motor mounted on the boat.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Looks like someone tried to fill the cracks with silicone[B)]
            David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

My first response was "Holy $hit!" Yes, a transom is definitely in the very near future for that boat. I'm not sure I would even trailer it with the motor mounted on the boat.

x2 [:0][B)]

be real careful moving that boat very far!
              76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

I've seen wet wood in transforms that are in better shape than this. My guess 5K repair from a shop
                1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

My guess 5K repair from a shop

A lot more than that. That is if you want a top of the line job and want to take the time to fix the bracket also...[you'll have it off...that's the time to do it.]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by gmack

Good afternoon guys. Newly transplanted coonass to Houston. Been keeping an eye out for a new boat since moving here. I had to sell my old boat (Kencraft 215) before leaving Louisiana. I came across a 1994 221B that I'm going check out tomorrow. My brother has a 1995 211/22 so I'm a little familiar with the boat. I'm writing to ask if there is anything in particular to this model or Mako's in general I should look out for. I know it's an older boat so obvious things like solid transom will be important. I'm not concerned much about cosmetics or electrical as I can spiffy that up myself.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Gary

Transom - SHOT! I would also inspect the top of the fuel tank for corrosion. Mine is an '82 and it was, but yours is much newer, however, if I had to do any major work on the boat, I'd definitely check the fuel tank.

Classic \'82 Mako 21

[br]

This boat is a one of a kind classic 1982 Mako hull with 94 Mercury Offshore 200.

[br]

We recently completed a total overhaul and customization of the boat to include the following:

[br]
                      [br]
                    • New deck throughout.
                    • New transom, converted to full transom.
                    • New Awlgrip Oyster paint throughout.
                    • Live well integrated into full transom with forward viewing window and top access hatch, along with original in deck live well.
                    • Cooler integrated into full transom with top access hatch.
                    • Custom built Armstrong wide body bracket/swim platform with built in ladder mount, by Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • New custom King Starboard instrument panel, with ALL new gauges to include the addition of an hour meter, water pressure gauge and trim & tilt gauge.
                    • New custom King Starboard switch panel with red LED switch indicator lights.
                    • Rewired the entire electrical system throughout the boat with marine grade wiring.
                    • 2 new 1000 CCA batteries.
                    • Sea Systems blade style fuse block and separate, isolated fuse block for flood lights.
                    • Reworked teak (original) with 6 coats of teak varnish.
                    • New SS hatch springs on ALL hatches.
                    • New smoked Plexiglas access doors on console.
                    • Original Mako swivel seats at console, interchangeable with 4 rod holder leaning post(included).
                    • New custom 109 gal. fuel tank up from the stock 86 gal. tank, by Custom Marine Tanks in Jupiter Florida.
                    • New fuel lines throughout, including engine.
                    • New trim/tilt motor.
                    • New Perko locking fuel cap.
                    • 94 Mercury Offshore 200 hp. completely rebuilt carburetors & current servicing. Ive had this engine since brand new. Has had annual service every year since, including annual water pump. Has never malfunctioned and cylinder compression still very high. Replaced rusty steering arm 2 years ago. Runs like new!
                    • 4 New SS Perko rod holders in gunwale.
                    • New stern and amidships, pop-up cleats.
                    • New bilge pump.
                    • New bilge pump float switch.
                    • New Quicksilver GenII remote control on center console.
                    • New Quicksilver GenII premium remote control cables, by Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • New SS steering wheel with steering knob.
                    • New Teleflex SeaStar helm steering assembly.
                    • New SS fuel filter bracket by, Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • New steering hydraulic hoses, custom routed through the Armstrong bracket by Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • New oiler hoses, by Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • All controls, cables and hoses custom routed through Armstrong bracket and 2 rigging tube to engine, by Island Boat Works, Cape Coral, Fl.
                    • New Sunbrella T-Top canvas, black, by Cape Canvas, Cape Coral, FL.
                    • Outriggers (not installed).
                    • Garmin GPSMap 478.
                    • Garmin FishFinder 340C.
                    • Apelco VHF radio.
                    • Cannon downrigger, (not installed) & needs cable end repaired.
                    • Clarion Marine stereo system.
                    • West Marine T-Top mounted stereo speakers.
                    • Forward & rear flood lights.
                    • Fluorescent T-Top console area light.
                    • Original Mako console mounted courtesy lights.
                    • 2004 Performance trailer with new tires & spare tire, great condition.
                    • New anchor & rode.
                    • Search light.
                    • [br]New Starboard fish box hatches.
                    • [br]
                    [br]

Own this Turn Key Classic Mako For $15,000.00.

[br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br]Capt. Jim

Comment

It looks almost as if that boat may have been rear ended in a car accident the way the transom is pushed in.
                      221B Mako[br]

Comment

That was what I thought was it was in car wreck.You can handle the transom job yourself

Comment

I agree with the above statement or the owner backed it into something, I had a neighbor back his triton into a brick wall and his transom looked similar...
                          1992 Mako 211 with a 2008 F250 Yamaha <<<SOLD [br]Current >>> 2486 CC Triton Honda 150 vtecs[br]

Comment

Definitely not stress cracks. As said, I wouldn't even trailer it with the motor on. Good news is you won't be in limbo about IF a transom job is needed or can you get another season out of it.

DIY: $2K worth materials and alot of blood sweat and tears

Professionally done: $5K is a good starting point
                            Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X