looking to purchase 1990__FWC 251 - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to purchase 1990__FWC 251 - need advice

Hello Everyone. Just joined the forum. I have been reading on here for the last few days. My father is looking for a new 25 CC and I found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a 1990 251 that is an ex-FWC boat. The hull has supposedly been completely restored and the boat has twin 2006 225 E-TEC's with 700hrs. I have the print outs from the Evinrude service center with all service/warranty work performed to date and fault codes. They just got new water pumps and service. 75% of run time has been at idle and no over heat. Highest temps recorded were under 210 deg. Motors look to have been well cared for so it seems.

As for the hull, even though the previous owner supposedly had it completely restored, what areas should I really look at? With out drilling holes and such, what can be tested. Ultimately, if the deal proceeds, we would want a survey but judging from the pictures I've seen, it really does look like the person who fixed it up did it right. Boat was being redone to send to Bahamas as a run about. Needs an above floor livewell and rod holders. Both fish boxes in back and livewell are glassed in obviously.

Seller is asking $19,000. Seems fair considering motors and hull condition. What do you guys think. Has a twin axle trailer as well.

Mike

Need pictures. Also, if you can find out who did the work, you can find out HOW they did it. Pictures of the restore would be a huge help, but a very compeentent surveyor should be able to check for moisture in the transom and stringers. Is the fuel tank replaced along with ALL hoses and fittings? Was it coal tar epoxied or similary coated and then foamed back in? Tons of questions could be asked but pictures will help narrow down where to focus.

The FWC boats were over built for heavy use and can be very good recreational boats.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Here is a link.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...5-CC-100756966

Went to look at boat today. Not sure if any restoration work was actually done. Boat has been painted inside and out but I think floor is original and gas tank is as well. Doesn't seem to have been replaced. Transom felt strong but i was not comfortable with story I was getting. Supposedly the boat belongs to a friend of the guy who owns the used boat dealership. Guy has lots of money and started restoring boat to use at his house in Bahamas as a run about but a divorce has derailed the project. No electronics or fish stuff on boat. Gauges look like original ones from before E-tecs. Other than the flush mount cleats, everything looks original so I am very skeptical that any of the story is true. Could be he bought bought boat at sale and through some fresh paint and stuck it on lot. Pics make boat look really nice but I'm not sure whats down below. I opened the rear hatch for the fuel tank and didn't smell fuel but foam was all black and gooey looking. I would have to have a survey done fore sure, and he says owner is firm at $19,900. I don't think I would get actual pics of work done if I started that line of questioning. We have sort of passed unless you guys think it is worth pursuing. My dad who is the one actually buying the boat didn't really seem to think it was worth the price plus the money needed to spend to get it fishable.

Motors are nice and I got all the paper work from service center but upon arriving we noticed that the lower units had been repainted white and that there is corrosion along one of the seams on both motors that has been painted over. You can see bubbles in paint.

I am open for opinions so please share them.

Thanks

Comment

also, trailer is shot. wrong size, no brakes, only 2 good tires.

Comment

Looks like FWC owned the motors. The paint job does look good but if the tank is original, it will most likely need to be R&R. Repainting the lowers is no big deal they all get run in shallows and lose some paint, just have them pressure tested. Probably a FWC boat with just a fresh coat of paint for a quick re-sale. Could be a good deal, I'd have an accredited surveyor do a complete survey.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
          X