New member and new to me Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new to me Mako

Just signed up here today. Got my 89 Mako 230 about a month ago. It's pretty much a turn key usable boat. Not perfect but pretty good. I would like to make it perfect or as near perfect as practical. One thing I would like to improve is that there is waterlogged foam and water under the cabin floor. I don't know how much heavier the boat is because of that or how much it hurts performance. But she seem to perform OK. Does about 35 mph with 2 aboard or about 33 with 5 aboard. That is with a Yamaha V6 Excell 225 hp. 120 gal. gas tank maybe 1/4 to 1/2 full, otherwise pretty much empty except for basic safety gear, boat has a t top. Does that seem like normal performance or would getting that water out help a lot? Thanks for any advice...Charlie
    Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ[br]

Still learning how to do things on this site,here's a picture. I hope.

Comment

Hey Charlie, welcome to CM.[] take some pics of the water you are seeing in the cabin and tell us what you might think be going on.
      David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

I can't really take a picture but I can see the water when I look down the hole for the table pedestal in the cuddy cabin. I took off the pedestal base and got my hand down in there and pulled out a few loose pieces of waterlogged foam. Getting most of the water out is not a problem because there is a sump pit with a pump under the step below the cabin door. When I got the boat there was no automatic switch on the pump and after a heavy rain there would be water on the cabin floor so I'm pretty sure it is rain water getting in. I have since put an automatic switch on the pump so I no longer get water on the floor but it does not get all the water out from under the floor. I don't know how much water is down there maybe a couple of gallons. I don't know if I should be concerned about it or not...Charlie

Comment

Charlie, the foam under the sole is soaked, water can get in there in many ways. Pull the pie plate off the tank lid and see what you see.

The pump that you describe is not there to remove water in the foam, its there to drain water that gets on the cabin sole.
          David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

I looked under the pie plates and it looked a little dirty and a little damp. But it is not holding water and seems OK to me. What I realy want to know is is should I be worried about the water under the cabin sole. Like I said I can get most of it out and if I had to I could figure out a way to get it all out. Should I get it all out or just live with a little water down there?

Comment

Working...
            X