New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Hi all...new guy here--not an owner yet, but am in the market! I decided to get me a Mako after some research...Think I made the right choice. I want a fishing boat that is seaworthy, since I will be entering/exiting Charlestown Breachway (RI) and the Connecticut River to the Sound. Plus, the seats in front of the console as well as the 2 console seats can comfortably fit my family for the occasional pleasure jaunt.

Considered a Boston Whaler, but decided against it since from what I've gathered, they're solid but make for a pretty jarring ride on the surf.

The toughest part so far is not jumping into something, given the giveaway prices for boats these days!

I know next to nothing about boats (though I'm a pretty good mechanic for a shade tree guy) so that is saving me from doing something stupid like buying the first thing I see.

I figure I'd sign up here and run my finds by you guys first for input. Lots of knowledgeable guys here I see just reading various posts, and I apologize in advance for the pestering, stupid questions coming your way.

I think I'll start with something 19-23 feet, big enough for open ocean but small enough to trailer.

Okay, looking forward to it.

Welcome to CM, what are you going to pull this boat with, I would suggest the 221, 224, or 231 off the top of my head, but there are many of fine models out there
    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stroken

Welcome to CM, what are you going to pull this boat with, I would suggest the 221, 224, or 231 off the top of my head, but there are many of fine models out there

Thanks Stroken. I'll be pulling it with my Dodge D100. It has a 727 with shift kit for towing. Don't know if I'll have to swap out springs and rear end with 3/4 ton, depending on what kind of weight is at the tongue of the trailer. But it will be kept in RI and I can sail it most of the way home to CT anyway. We'll have to see if the fuel cost outweighs the strain on the tranny and rear end, pulling a beast like these.

Comment

Hey there Swami. I'm relatively new here too - its a great site and the folks on here are a tremendous help - especially if you have a specific question. All that said, I bought a 221 in June and trailer it all around New England (based in North Falmouth, Cape Cod). We pull it with the family Suburban with no trouble at all. The 221 so far has been great in both the ocean (Buzzards Bay/Vineyard Sound) and lakes (Sebago in Maine). It seems to handle the chop very well for a boat it's size. Good luck with your search!
        Chris[br]2001 221 Mad Swagger[br]2001 Merc 200 Optimax[br]Wild Harbor[br]North Falmouth, Massachusetts[br]

Comment

I have a 20 now and owned a 224 in the past. I've fished off shore in Florida with the 224and also cruised the rivers with family. I just stick to the sound with the 20 now . If I would have to choose I would say I liked my 224 more. It was a very pretty boat and could handle anything. It is a very reasonable boat to tow around too. Good luck and happy shopping.

Comment

Welcome to cm!
            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Thanks everyone. One thing I forgot to mention that's important is that whatever I get, it needs to be able to get through the Charlestown Breachway. My inlaws have a place on Ninigret Pond in Charlestown RI, and access to the ocean is through there. I have read that it is "the most dangerous breachway on the eastern seaboard," though I have not been able to find any kind of official substantiation to this. But suffice it to say, it's a white knuckle ride through there. I'm sure someone here is familiar with it.

Comment

Thanks everyone. One thing I forgot to mention that's important is that whatever I get, it needs to be able to get through the Charlestown Breachway. My inlaws have a place on Ninigret Pond in Charlestown RI, and access to the ocean is through there. I have read that it is "the most dangerous breachway on the eastern seaboard," though I have not been able to find any kind of official substantiation to this. But suffice it to say, it's a white knuckle ride through there. I'm sure someone here is familiar with it.

Comment

Working...
                X