New to me MAKO 1971 17ft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me MAKO 1971 17ft

[8D][8D] Hey guy's,i'm new..Nice to meet everyone.I just got a mako 1971 17t boat its old and needs work but i'm ready.It does have 115 yamaha mid 90's outboard.It runes and floates,lol.Needs paint bad and trailer work.My question is it has 2 drain plugs in the back on deck and one in each of the boxes.Live well,fish box,storage box.Do I need to plug them?They fill up with water not alot but enough.I don't know were the water comes in at.I have a bilage pump.There are two holes on the sides of the trap on transome,schould I plug them?Any help please,Does any one have this boat?[]

Looking at the other Mako's it is a ANGLER.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]

Looking at the other Mako's it is a ANGLER.

confused what you mean

welcome to CM

Not familiar with your year and size. My boxes get water in from around the lids but they drain into motor well
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Hey whats up,the water is comming up from the bottom of drain holes in boxes.I did plug them but still getting water in them,strange.I can't figure it out.

Comment

Ive got a 72 mako 17 angler an when I first got mine it was the same thing happening. The boxes where plumbed to the splash well in front of the motor top drain when water entered splash well from chop or trottling down quick it would enter lines an go into boxes. I replumbed it so the small box an large box are on a bilge an it feeds out the side. Also set up with a aerator so I could keep fish or shad alive in big box usally just fish. small one tied into same line going out the side I then put rubber plugs in them. pull plugs an turn on bilge when I need to drain or clean. Iam getting ready to rebuild an I would like to insulate more. small one I use for drinks the middle size one is disconnected from line an drains off into bilge area keep rubber plug in it so it stays pretty dry. The two splash well drains removed lines an plugged so water that gets in splash guard can just drain out. Its worked for me. Hope that maybe helps. Iam curious how others have theirs set up. If I remember right before repluming water would push plugs out an water would get in boxes.
          Steve 72 Mako 17 Angler

Comment

Thanks for the info,same thing is happening to mine.I guess I will look into replumbing.Was that pretty simple?

Comment

It wasnt to bad. Had to remove a little foam, bought new fittings clamps. The worse thing is its tight working back their, so it was quite fustrating at times.[] the aerator I used was a keepalive oxygen infuser type sold in florida. Does really good on fish fair on shad depends on tempature. Needs more insulation. for hot summer days.
              Steve 72 Mako 17 Angler

Comment

It wasnt to bad. Had to remove a little foam, bought new fittings clamps. The worse thing is its tight working back their, so it was quite fustrating at times.[] the aerator I used was a keepalive oxygen infuser type sold in florida. Does really good on fish fair on shad depends on tempature. Needs more insulation. for hot summer days.
                Steve 72 Mako 17 Angler

Comment

Good info N2
                  Joe[br]St. Petersburg, FL[br]1973 Mako 17 Angler[br]2005 Evinrude E-tec 90[br][br]

Comment

Working...
                  X