Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New boater with Mako that's been dry for 5yrs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boater with Mako that's been dry for 5yrs.

I have a 73' 17ft Mako cc that has been sitting at my cabin in Homosassa Springs for about 5yrs now. It has a 90hp Evinrude E-tec that I believe is an 05'. The boat was in great condition when it was put up (garage kept, even now) but I know sitting so long is going to cause some issues.

It was given to me by a family member who didn't need it anymore. The trailer it came with wasn't used much in the recent years before it was given to me because the boat stayed on a boat lift when it wasn't in use. The boat was well taken care of before I received it and had been restored a few years prior, at least the aesthetics were including the teak wood. But I'm pretty sure everything else was at least inspected and found in good shape or they would have repair what was found not to be.

I know NOTHING about boating! I just need to be pointed in the right directions on what to do with getting the boat up to par, learning to boat(courses), fishing(only done off sea walls and it's been 10yrs) and anything else that may be helpful.

Also, I'm wondering how well my 2wd truck will handle boat slips including the one at our cabin, which has been used in a long time. I'm providing pictures of the boat, boat slip and truck as reference.

I appreciate any advice you can give, thanks.

And here's couple of pics of the cabin where i've been storing the boat

Joe[br]St. Petersburg, FL[br]1973 Mako 17 Angler[br]2005 Evinrude E-tec 90[br][br]

Great set-up you got there looks like a vision Ive always had. Find somebody that has some boating experience an likes to fish have them go with you a few times an you will be well on your way if you like. Your defiently going to need batteries in boat back in water at that ramp get r done. One other thing read up on current boating regulations in your state. Might save you having to pay a ticket.
    Steve 72 Mako 17 Angler

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by n2makos

Great set-up you got there looks like a vision Ive always had. Find somebody that has some boating experience an likes to fish have them go with you a few times an you will be well on your way if you like. Your defiently going to need batteries in boat back in water at that ramp get r done. One other thing read up on current boating regulations in your state. Might save you having to pay a ticket.

Thanks. I've found a few guys that have offered to help out in any way they can, which is much appreciated. My father-in-law fishes and has a Carolina Skiff and has years of experience. I'll see how much knowledge he has. I'm looking to find some local guys to meet up with to show me the ropes in each category.
      Joe[br]St. Petersburg, FL[br]1973 Mako 17 Angler[br]2005 Evinrude E-tec 90[br][br]

Comment

So I spent a few hours this afternoon at Gulfport marina watching people launch and trailer their boats. While I was there I also talked to a guy that works there but he didn't have much info on boating due to only ever having canoes and boats small enough to use trolling motors on. I ended up running into a guy I went to high school with who started a service cleaning the bottom of the boats. I remember him having a boat back then and he has offered if I need it. I also read thru the "How to Boat Smart" course book while I was there. I'm feeling little more comfortable already and I haven't even got on the boat yet.

Comment

Look at taking the Cost Guard Power Squadrons Course, it is free and one night a week for six weeks. It will teach you what you need to know about safe boating the right way.
          Perdido Key, FL[br]Birmingham, AL[br]\"Old age and treachery will always win out over youth and inexperience.\"[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18523[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22153

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by LocoMako

Look at taking the Cost Guard Power Squadrons Course, it is free and one night a week for six weeks. It will teach you what you need to know about safe boating the right way.

Thanks. I'll check when the next course starts.

Comment

You won't have any issues pulling your boat out with that truck. As far as ramp goes, once you get used to launching the boat, you will be able to launch it in the worst or slips. You should be fine.

Comment

Send me a email if you need anything. I'm in your area all the time.

****ryanmacciniathotmaildotcom****

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Humpinit

You won't have any issues pulling your boat out with that truck. As far as ramp goes, once you get used to launching the boat, you will be able to launch it in the worst or slips. You should be fine.

Thanks. I've had the truck in some situations that others thought I could never get out of on it's own but it did. Boat slips are just totally new to me, i'm sure once I get the hang of it i'll be ok.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by umachme

Send me a email if you need anything. I'm in your area all the time.

****ryanmacciniathotmaildotcom****

Looking forward to get the boat out on the water with you and yours so I can learn some things from you. I'm off to study your build again thanks. For some reason when I go to look at others profile I get rejected, so here's my email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X