Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vvs1blue
    replied
    First of all thanks for your replie and tips. At this point I have been trying to get a decent mechanic to stop by and take a look at boat. In the time being I have gotten new batteries (30$ each) reconnected them, taken off the spark plugs on the engine and just cranked it (with water running in the ears). My next mission has been to re-install the hydraulic pump to level the engine and run it with gas/oil out of a can, check the gas tank which I figure must have 8-12 gallons in it and see if there is a lot of water (the boat was in for about 1-1/2 hours)if I see it's the regular amount of condensation build up I will just use a gas treatment for it and flush the hoses out. Afterwards I will connect the gas directly to the engine.

While setting up the hydraulic pump I notice the mess of cables that are under the console and have decided to start replacing the instrument panel and switches. While replacing the wire on the solenoid (Arco SW275) one of the screws was so rusted that when I put pressure the thing broke off. While doing all this I've been learning a lot of the wiring and I am planning to do right, color coding and all once and for all.

Leave a comment:

• vvs1blue
    replied
    First of all thanks for your replie and tips. At this point I have been trying to get a decent mechanic to stop by and take a look at boat. In the time being I have gotten new batteries (30$ each) reconnected them, taken off the spark plugs on the engine and just cranked it (with water running in the ears). My next mission has been to re-install the hydraulic pump to level the engine and run it with gas/oil out of a can, check the gas tank which I figure must have 8-12 gallons in it and see if there is a lot of water (the boat was in for about 1-1/2 hours)if I see it's the regular amount of condensation build up I will just use a gas treatment for it and flush the hoses out. Afterwards I will connect the gas directly to the engine.

While setting up the hydraulic pump I notice the mess of cables that are under the console and have decided to start replacing the instrument panel and switches. While replacing the wire on the solenoid (Arco SW275) one of the screws was so rusted that when I put pressure the thing broke off. While doing all this I've been learning a lot of the wiring and I am planning to do right, color coding and all once and for all.

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied
    Get the garden house out and while the boat is on the trailer try experimenting

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied
    Get the garden house out and while the boat is on the trailer try experimenting

Leave a comment:

• plusultra
    replied
    bilge hose could b broken as well .....

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied
    Holly bergeezer my friend. What an ordeal! My first thought is you need to get a vacant ramp, leave the boat on the trailer so you can find out where the water is coming in from. Water can be coming in the scuppers and sloshing up on the bilge acces hatch. With that many people on a 17 it may sit a little low causing the problem to accelerate. So to continue...water comes in and leaks down threw the pie plates and or bilge access. Mako put a $2 gasket in there to seal it. It works until the sun dry rots it. Water slowly leaks down until it gets heavy enough to push down the transom. Once the transom goes under then its hardly up hill battle.

So this so called boat mech did not put automatic float in?

I know you said you plugged every hole so don't mean to ask....you did put the garboard plug in?

You could of also had a break in your line that feeds your livewell. There usually not a plug for this.

Can you post up some pictures?

I feel so bad for your nightmare but so glad your family is safe

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied
    Holly bergeezer my friend. What an ordeal! My first thought is you need to get a vacant ramp, leave the boat on the trailer so you can find out where the water is coming in from. Water can be coming in the scuppers and sloshing up on the bilge acces hatch. With that many people on a 17 it may sit a little low causing the problem to accelerate. So to continue...water comes in and leaks down threw the pie plates and or bilge access. Mako put a $2 gasket in there to seal it. It works until the sun dry rots it. Water slowly leaks down until it gets heavy enough to push down the transom. Once the transom goes under then its hardly up hill battle.

I know you said you plugged every hole so don't mean to ask....you did put the garboard plug in?

You could of also had a break in your line that feeds your livewell. There usually not a plug for this.

Leave a comment:

• brando
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vvs1blue
    started a topic Newbie: New Boat-Here We Go!

Newbie: New Boat-Here We Go!

Hello Everyone; When I was younger my vision of a perfect boat was a 17' Mako with a 150 Mercury Black Max engine and on the first week of April when an acquaintance showed me his old boat (he had purchased a bigger one)and it turned out to be my dreamboat I did not hesitate in buying it.

By that weekend I had the boat in the water and after a 10 minute orientation I was on my own. Mind you, I'm a watch repairman and I have a knack for figuring things out. However those skills did not help when I had my family with me and we were trying to figure out how to turn on the engine. I had done everything but turn the orange knob located under the center console to engage the batteries. But I figured it out....it had strayed to the back of my memories of the "orientation" and we were on the way.

My buddy had told me that although the gas gauge was not working properly the gas tank was 3/4 full. Two hours later we ran out of gas in the middle of Blackwater Sound and luckily we were towed into the marina by a passing boat. Although it was an experience we were all quite jubilant and on the following weekend it was just Astrid and I on the boat. Things went smoooothly and we had a great time....I thought we had gone through the worst...little did I know.....

A few weeks later I took out the boat with the whole crew. My girl, Astrid, her 18 year old son, Patric and my 13 year old daughter, Dee. We went through John PenneKamp and sailed all the way to Rodriguez Key.

It was a spectacular experience and we came back into Blackwater Sound through to Cardwater Sound and did some fishing. On the way back Astrid asked if we could stop at Gilberts for dinner and I said I wanted to get back to the marina (Carribean Club)before sundown. It was the luckiest decision I made.... As we traveled back to the marina I felt there was something wrong with the boat. Usually the boat literary flies but the the back was riding pretty low and the bow was high. I thought there was something to do with the stabilizer and kept pushing them up and down. When we reached the dock Astrid and Patric jumped off so they would get the truck. I backed up the boat and realized water was coming over the transom and into the console area. I began to bail out the water and the engine cut off! Luckily we had cleared the dock and drifted to the dock next door. By this time I was frantically bailing the water out of the boat while my daughter looked bewildered. She's a brave kid and there was no panic in her face. Other's looked at my plight and jumped in to help me push the boat onto shore and beach it. We did so and I bailed the water out of the boat. With the help of 'Roger' an old sea-dog that overseas the ramp, I was able to start the motor and drive the boat onto the trailer and out of the water.

I left the boat in the care of a "mechanic" that I rented the boat parking from. I told him about the incident and how we almost sunk. He told me he would look at it. I also requested for him to install a fish/depth finder and remove a trolling motor mount that was attached to the front of the boat. He told me he would call me with an 'estimate' and I explained to him that I was a watchmaker and 'understood' to just go ahead give me 'consideration' and do whatever needed to be done.

He called me during the middle of the week and explained that the bilge pump was filled with oil and that he cleaned it out. He also removed the mount and installed the fish finder. The price: 450.00! I found that steep but I'm more interested in the result and when I got there on Sunday I requested he explain what he did....OUCH! Oh Well..

After putting plugs on every possible hole we went out and headed for Mosquito Banks. I continually looked at the baitwells and bailed the water out of them feeling they were just too full. I also kept checking the bilge pump and realized I had two of them installed-"Edy" the mechanic never mentioned that....

We went to another area of the reef. I decided to get over my paranoia and have a good time. I jumped in with Patric my girlfriend's son and Andrew, his friend that accompanied us. I instructed my girlfriend to keep an eye on the waterline and to turn on the bilge pumps if she saw any water coming in. The boy that came with us has lived around boats all his life and explained to me that the bilge pumps should not be left turned on or automatic because it would use up the batteries....

I came back a half hour later and my girlfriend pointed out that water was coming over the transom. I asked her why she did not signal me by blowing the whistle?...

I tried to bail the water out but it was too late. I got on the cell phone to call for BoatUS but I needed to read and sign the user agreement, I gave the phone to her and tried to start the engine...we were going down fast.....the boys were signaling a nearby boat....they thought we were warning them about sharks in the area.....I told everyone to put on a life vest (we were only in 9-12 ft of water) all of the sudden the boat began to list to it's starboard side and we were going to capsize! Once again I urged everyone to grab a lifevest and jump clear. My girlfriend grabbed the gear bag with the wallets inside and by this time I was yelling at her to let go of the damn thing, put on a lifevest and jump clear. I was really afraid the boat would come on top of someone!

Finally the boat capsized and and we jumped clear. I hit the water and began to count heads. I did not see my girlfriend and went after her. Her head bobbed to the surface and she was safe but my phone was gone. Andrew our friend pushed the floating cooler towards her and she grabbed hold. I kept an eye on the boat that was coming for us. By this time the occupants realized we were in trouble and were speeding towards us. Once they got there I told them there were four of us and we were OK.

The skipper on the boat (Steve) bought us onboard one at a time. My girlfriend had panicked and was screaming that she was drowning. She was pulled up, followed by her Patric and Andrew. I think Steve thought the boys were panicking and he pushed Andrew back into the water. After making sure everyone was on board I climbed up. Embarrassed and incredulous at the same time. I later realized we had been lucky because I was planning to go into really deep water when I returned on board......

This story is running long so I'm cutting it short here. The towboat came and when Tom pulled my boat it righted itself and he bought us to the marina. Once there I paid Roger to start up the engine and within an hour the engine was running.

If you want I will write more details in another posting on how I handled the mechanic. For the most part I've bought my boat home. I'm trying to reconnect the hydraulic pump so that I could level the engine and continue to crank it, I will be flushing out the gas tank, replacing the spark plugs, rewiring the entire boat and then figure out where the water is coming in from (livewells?).

Any suggestions, comments (positive ones-I already beat the crap out of myself over this) please feel free to post. I plan to do the work myself because I am definitely going to raise this Shark on my own!
Working...
X