Want to buy 23 center console need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy 23 center console need advice

Hi i just sold a 1978 lyman which we restored and looking for a 1988 vintage 23 foot center console. I have never owned a mako and not familiar with the models and issues. I understand there was an offshore model but dont know model name. Any help here. In looking at makos are there any structural issues to pay particular attention to? Do the fuel tanks usually need to be replaced? How much horse power can a 1988 vintage handle? Is there a particular year to search for?

Thanks for the advice. Btw this is the first blog or forum i have ever participated in.

Paul
    Paul

Not sure how to answer your question but I will try

a 1988 23' mako could go offshore depending on where you live. here in the mid-Atlantic region I would only do it on a perfect day with a well maintained boat. were talking 50 miles here. Some people have different opinions on offshore but with in 20 miles is inshore to me and beyond that is offshore. Fuel tank may or may not need replaced, depends on previous owner, but you will have to pull it and at least inspect. A 1988 23 horsepower???? I wouldn't guess no more than 250

welcome to CM
    1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

a 1988 23' mako could go offshore depending on where you live. here in the mid-Atlantic region I would only do it on a perfect day with a well maintained boat. were talking 50 miles here. Some people have different opinions on offshore but with in 20 miles is inshore to me and beyond that is offshore. Fuel tank may or may not need replaced, depends on previous owner, but you will have to pull it and at least inspect. A 1988 23 horsepower???? I wouldn't guess no more than 250

welcome to CM
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

welcome to CM

Comment

I run a 1988 231 center console. I have owned for about 6yrs. Powered

by a 225 yamaha 2 stroke. Power ok but 250 would be great. Top speed

about 38mph cruses good at 28mph. Average all day fish trip 60 to 70

gal fuel burn. I average 30 to 40 miles out of ponce inlet nysmrnia

Fl. Handles 2 to 3 ft seas great. also small enough for river and

intercostal to. Trailers great behind an F150. But it required new

fuel system, new wireing, thru-hulls resealed and new hoses before water ready. Hope this helps.
          John, [br]Sanford Fl[br]1987 231 Mako[br]2019 277 cobia[br]1995 17 Maverick[br]

Comment

fuel system, new wireing, thru-hulls resealed and new hoses before water ready. Hope this helps.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X