Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with new (to me) '74 Mako 17 Standard

Hello all,

This site has already been very valuable in learning more about my new boat. You guys are a dedicated group, lots of great resources here!

A few weeks ago I picked up a '74 Mako 17 standard with an '87 Evinrude 88 SPL with a trailer. The hull is in great shape with no soft spots and a solid transom. The PO's had tons of work documented including all new electrical and the fuel tank replacement (read this can be costly and is necessary after a while on these older boats). Is there anything in particular I should watch out for with this boat? I have taken it for a few brief cruises and short of the carbs needing a good cleaning (doesn't like to run at a low idle) everything else seems pretty solid. There is some minor body work I plan on doing such as cleaning railings & re-mounting them, some minor gel coat touch-ups, new tops for the rear fish-boxes, new mako decals etc.

I grew up sailing on larger boats so some of the basics in regards to motor boats & small boating in general are new to me. Any insight would be appreciated. Here are a few pics:

\'74 Mako 17 Standard w/ Evinrude 88 SPL[br]
Working...
X