Repowering 1980 238 with inboard/outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repowering 1980 238 with inboard/outboard

Considering installing inboard/outboard in my existing hull. Was powered with Evinrude 235 which has since been removed. Cost of 4 stroke outboard are just too much! Coupled with compromised transom(cracked gelcoat, wood sound) and access to used I/O drive trains, inboard/outboard seems like a no-brainer. I know installation is much harder then hanging an outboard off the transom. Are I/O's common in Mako's of this size? Are they designed any different(weight distribution or stringer design)? Any comments or experiences are welcomed!

Most people go the other direction, pull the I/O and put on a four stroke. Have you thought about looking for a used four stroke? That would be WAY cheaper in the long run.

There is a Mako 25 that was converted so I know it can be done but you would be going into it all alone and no guarantee it would perform well. If you are stuck on an I/O, you might be better to look for one that is existing. There were some early to mid 70's models that had single and twins I/O's but I don't think any cuddy's like the 238.
    quote:

Originally posted by skostrick

Considering installing inboard/outboard in my existing hull. Was powered with Evinrude 235 which has since been removed. Cost of 4 stroke outboard are just too much! Coupled with compromised transom(cracked gelcoat, wood sound) and access to used I/O drive trains, inboard/outboard seems like a no-brainer. I know installation is much harder then hanging an outboard off the transom. Are I/O's common in Mako's of this size? Are they designed any different(weight distribution or stringer design)? Any comments or experiences are welcomed!

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thank You Sailor for your reply. Tis true I don't follow the beaten path. I have looked at 4 stroke outboards, but the cost is beyond my budget. There are many reasonable I/O's available in my area(great lakes). When you say way cheaper in long run are you speaking of fuel cost and/or installation costs? Buying a running boat is certainly easier then doing all this work, but I have this hull, I hope Im not tilting at windmills.

Comment

Would you do a rear mounted engine or a jackshaft and put the engine under the console? The jackshaft will require moving the fuel tank aft and likely cost way more as a result.

My 1976 23 was originally an I/O. It has extra stringers to mount the engine on that run from the transom forward to the first bulkhead. You would have to do something similar so that you have a structure to bolt the engine to.

What would you do with the splash well and notch in the transom? I would think that if you leave the splash well, then the engine would be too far forward and you would need a short driveshaft to connect it to the stern drive. It is a lot of work to cut out the splash well and close in the transom.

How would you mount the engine stringers in the bilge? It would likely require cutting a fairly big hole in the floor so that you have space to get them in and then do all of the glass work. Then you'd have to patch up the floor and build an engine box.

I guess that it could be done, but if you really want an I/O, I'd go looking for a factory built one. Would likely be cheaper and definitely easier... There was a 70's I/O with cuddy cabin available.
        Toronto, Canada
        76 Mako 23
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-s-23-rebuild

Comment

Thank you Jamie for your reply. The information regarding the need of additional stringers from transom to bulkhead was indeed sobering, major structural redesign is not in my wheelhouse. Will continue the search for an affordable 4 stroke and/or buyer(or trade). Thank you for your time!

Comment

Working...
          X