lifting method on 225hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifting method on 225hp

Re:1998 Johnson 225hp (about 450 lbs) - Recently someone told me that I could lift the motor by inserting three bolts in the flywheel (used for flywheel puller) and use a steel gusset plate with a lifting eye. My gut tells me that if this was a convenient means of lifting a motor then everyone would be doing it.

If not, then what is the best way to attach & lift this size motor?

Any comments?

Amendment: I received one suggestion of using a flywheel / crankshaft nut welded to a lifting ring. Is lifting the 450lb motor from the crankshaft an acceptable method?
    Capt Mud Flat[br]\'73 Mako 232[br]Mandeville, LA

I just lifted a Yami 225 and it had a lifting point on the motor. I did a 225 Evinrude last year and it had 2 lifting points on it. One on the starter bracket and the other on a head bolt.

'90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CaptMudFlat

Re:1998 Johnson 225hp (about 450 lbs) - Recently someone told me that I could lift the motor by inserting three bolts in the flywheel (used for flywheel puller) and use a steel gusset plate with a lifting eye. My gut tells me that if this was a convenient means of lifting a motor then everyone would be doing it.

Any comments?

Amendment: I received one suggestion of using a flywheel / crankshaft nut welded to a lifting ring. Is lifting the 450lb motor from the crankshaft an acceptable method?

The method of using a plate with a loop mentioned above, is one of the primary methods you will find stated in a number of repair manuals, and will work fine.
      If you have acess to such a lifting plate, or build your own, just make sure your plate has holes properly spaced to match the flywheel's threaded holes, and that you engage the threads to a depth of approximately the diameter of the bolts (IE: you do NOT want to be lifting using only one or two threads, which may pull out of the flywheel, causing the motor to drop to the ground suddenly...[V])

So... You can either locate & borrow/rent such a lifting plate, fabricate your own lifting plate (I've made many such plates for a variety of engines in my lifetime), or in a pinch for a one-time use, use a short section of chain, into which all three of the bolts can be inserted making two loops of equual length that can be used on your lifting hook to lift and support an equal portion of the load.

FINALLY... IF you have an extra flywheel nut and want to weld a loop onto it, that too could be a way to skin this cat, but you will want to replace it with a new one aAND properly re-torque this new nut upon re-installing the motor into the boat. IMHO, this is just extra work... [:I]

HTH... []
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CaptMudFlat

Any comments?

The method of using a plate with a loop mentioned above, is one of the primary methods you will find stated in a number of repair manuals, and will work fine.
        If you have acess to such a lifting plate, or build your own, just make sure your plate has holes properly spaced to match the flywheel's threaded holes, and that you engage the threads to a depth of approximately the diameter of the bolts (IE: you do NOT want to be lifting using only one or two threads, which may pull out of the flywheel, causing the motor to drop to the ground suddenly...[V])

So... You can either locate & borrow/rent such a lifting plate, fabricate your own lifting plate (I've made many such plates for a variety of engines in my lifetime), or in a pinch for a one-time use, use a short section of chain, into which all three of the bolts can be inserted making two loops of equual length that can be used on your lifting hook to lift and support an equal portion of the load.

FINALLY... IF you have an extra flywheel nut and want to weld a loop onto it, that too could be a way to skin this cat, but you will want to replace it with a new one aAND properly re-torque this new nut upon re-installing the motor into the boat. IMHO, this is just extra work... [:I]

HTH... []
        Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Thanks Wpeavy and ov1jeeper.

I received a few emails all stating mostly the same thing. One guy has such a rig that he will loan me and hes only a 20 minute ride away.

FYI, after I posted this I googled it and there are several for sale on eBay in the $40 - $90 range. Also, there are a few YouTube videos on the subject.

This will be much easier than attaching chains to power head bolts.

Comment

Thanks Wpeavy and ov1jeeper.

I received a few emails all stating mostly the same thing. One guy has such a rig that he will loan me and hes only a 20 minute ride away.

FYI, after I posted this I googled it and there are several for sale on eBay in the $40 - $90 range. Also, there are a few YouTube videos on the subject.

This will be much easier than attaching chains to power head bolts.

Comment

Advance auto or Auto zone has a tool loaner program. The harmonic balancer tool is what you want. The hardware store will have the large eye you need for the balancer and the fine thread 5/16 by 3 inch bolts you need to screw into your flywheel. Be cautious that you dont run the screws more than a inch down into the flywheel. The stator lives on the underside and the bolts can go down into it and damage the stator if you run them way deep/ This is the same tool you will need someday to pull your flywheel and service your stator or voltage regulator, or flywheel magnets.

dave
              [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Advance auto or Auto zone has a tool loaner program. The harmonic balancer tool is what you want. The hardware store will have the large eye you need for the balancer and the fine thread 5/16 by 3 inch bolts you need to screw into your flywheel. Be cautious that you dont run the screws more than a inch down into the flywheel. The stator lives on the underside and the bolts can go down into it and damage the stator if you run them way deep/ This is the same tool you will need someday to pull your flywheel and service your stator or voltage regulator, or flywheel magnets.

dave
                [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

dave

X2

The Loaner tool kit will even come with the various bolts. The only out of pocket is buying an eye bolt, nut and a washer
                  [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

dave

X2

The Loaner tool kit will even come with the various bolts. The only out of pocket is buying an eye bolt, nut and a washer
                    [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Harmonic balancer puller, I had one its what I pulled my Merc 3.0L (225) with to replace the tiller arm.

Worked well, and was free as I had it handy.Otherwise most autopart chains have the free tool loaner deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X