Chasing a Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing a Gremlin

So I fixed the trim motor and the engine went up and down...more a little while.

Next day I go and the engine goes up but not down. I jiggle the wires and the solenoid's and it now works in both directions. Then it only goes up. I buy 2 new solenoids install them and it goes both directions...and then it only goes up.

When I hit the switch on the engine I hear and feel a clicking noise on one of the solenoids that I assume is the one not working. I checked all the connections and they seem ok.

It must be something simple that I'm not seeing as it works intermittently.

Anyone run into this or have any ideas?
    20 Seacraft MA undergoing some work[br]

You are referring to solenoid but do you mean relays? On my neighbors old Evinrude the relay socket had loose connections and the tilt motor worked intermittently. We replaced the socket assembly and all was fine.
    Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

That may be my next move

Comment

Those relays get there power to actuate from both your control handle and the little switch on the side of motor.. this voltage gives them the ability to "click" They also need a strong 12 volts coming from the battery. Usually this is in the form of large red wires coming from the relay going to the hot side of the starter solenoid. take a wire brush and clean up all those connections and retighten the nut.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Check over your ground wires as well. more times then not, it's a bad ground causing intermittent issues.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

When looking over the harness that you plug the 2 relays into I noticed on one of them, and its the side in question, that someone had applied some type of black plastic liquid tape to it. Seems like they tried a quick fix that does not work.

Went online and ordered a new one off ebay for $25

Hopefully it solves the issue

Comment

Working...
            X