Ford 5.4 liter Triton question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 5.4 liter Triton question

Not sure if this is the right forum, but have a question about this engine in my 2008 F-150. Bought the truck new 10 years ago, have 127k miles on it. At 100k I had the plugs replaced, count myself lucky that only 2 broke off and had the passenger side exhaust manifold replaced, it had a crack and was "ticking" until it got hot. At about 110k I started noticing a loss of power, started throwing some code (I've forgotten which) turned out to be clogged catalytic converters. Had them replaced, both sides. I asked the mechanic what would cause the cats to be clogged, never really got a clear answer. Leading up to this problem, sometimes I felt a little "shudder" at times, usually when I was giving it a little gas, like coming out of a corner. Since I had them replaced I average about 14.5 mpg. I recently feel like I might be feeling that same shudder, but it also might be me imagining things. I'm wondering if the cause of the initial failure of the cats might have something to do with an injector staying open or something and dumping fuel into the cats. Is there any easy way to tell if any of the injectors is not operating properly?

I had a 2007 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 engine that developed the same shutter one day. I also changed the plugs of which 4 broke off and it stayed the same, but eventually I changed out the coils and the shutter went away.

It's not the same engine but it worked for me
    20 Seacraft MA undergoing some work[br]

Comment

I have had several 5.4 3v engines. There is a variable timing adjuster thing on the cams. The engines are very sensitive to sludge buildup. They have a few very tiny oil passages in the heads that can cause failure of the timing chain and cam adjusters on the front of the heads. The plugs, cats and manifolds are all wear and tear parts on these engines. Did you replace the coils when you did the plugs?
      1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mbsbrett

I have had several 5.4 3v engines. There is a variable timing adjuster thing on the cams. The engines are very sensitive to sludge buildup. They have a few very tiny oil passages in the heads that can cause failure of the timing chain and cam adjusters on the front of the heads. The plugs, cats and manifolds are all wear and tear parts on these engines. Did you replace the coils when you did the plugs?

I'm pretty sure sludge buildup is not an issue, every other oil change I have put in one quart of diesel engine oil for the extra detergents and while I haven't dropped the pan, I have put a wire in the oil drain hole and scraped around the bottom of the pan from the inside and never pull anything out. I did not replace the coils when I replaced the plugs. Are you saying it's kind of normal to need to replace the cats before 120k miles? Thanks.

Comment

If it were me, I'd pull the plugs to see what they look like. They tell the story. Most likely too much fuel (stuck injector? bad coil, not burning fuel?) causing excessive carbon and clogging cats. Shudder may be a loss of a cyl or two upon accelleration.
          [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Pulling the plugs on a 5.4 is a last resort for diagnosis. Have someone plug a scanner into it and it will pinpoint the issue.
            1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

I started replacing ignition coils at about 175k miles. It would shudder off and on for a short while, much like you are describing, then a coil would drop out completely.
              M20 project-Finally Splashed!
              https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
              Gallery
              https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kgfisher

I started replacing ignition coils at about 175k miles. It would shudder off and on for a short while, much like you are describing, then a coil would drop out completely.

Did yours throw a code when you got the shudder? Footy doesn't mention any code after the cats were replaced.

mbsbrett, why a last resort? are they hard to get to?
                [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

"last resort" sounded so ominous that I googled it. Sounds like a chore, what with the advice to invest in the broken plug remover.

Often feel put upon when I'm working around some design defect on something I own... think I'll count my blessings for awhile.
                  1980 Angler, Yam 90[br]Tuscaloosa, Al.

Comment

Honestly I don't recall if it gave a code while failing. It absolutely threw a code when a coil finally gave up. It even gave which cylinder the failed coil was on.

Re msbrett's remark about "last resort", these engines are notorious for the plugs sticking and snapping off when being replaced. Not uncommon to break off 2 or more plugs out of the 8. This simple DIY project turns nasty real quick.
                    M20 project-Finally Splashed!
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
                    Gallery
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

Plugs on the 5.4 are an awful 3 piece design. Changing the is a given that 3 or 4 will break off. They require a special too to remove. It takes 4-7 hours to do them all. They have to be done around 100k miles, typical to replace all 8 coils when plugs are done.
                      1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Correct, earlier model 5.4 L engine were a three piece design. The electrode would be pulled from the spark plug on removal by carbon and drop in the cylinder...BAD

Late 2009 and 2010( like mine thank Gosh) are one piece design and eliminate that issue.

Correct on throwing a code, the analyze will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Mine just threw a code on number 8 last week and I replaced the coil because they are know for going bad....Misfire was still there under light load. Take out the plug and the gap was worn to almost 0.075 of an inch! Guess its time for new plugs at 145,000[8D]

I replaced that plug and all is well, but I need to find time for the others...hate to cut into fishing time!
                        1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

Not to hijack a thread, but I just bought a '03 Explorer with the 4.6L V8. It has 152K miles & I was going to replace plugs as preventative maintenance.

Am I in for the same "Broken Plug" problem with this engine? If so, I'll wait for a mis-fire or problem.
                          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Footy

I am not on top of the shuddering issue as In my 7 F150 I never saw this

I frequently run BG44 thru the fuel system and use Rislone on every 4th oil change- Both products keep their respective engine areas clean

As for adding two different oils as you mentioned are not a smart idea - these are to different chemical mixtures and the TBN packages are different - there is just no benefit

I am in the Diesel engine business and we will deny any warranty claim when an oil change proves this, as the engine if finally tuned and designed to For specific oil package that contains the correct TBN

Stay with manufacturers recommend oils

Comment

I cant believe some of the service BS Ford has gone through these last few years...Where is their serviceability and dependability?? Google ford 3.5 water pump failures....it will make you sad...

Pretty good trucks up till 100k...then watch out.[}][}]
                              [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                              X