Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Mercury 150 2 stroke starting issue

Hey guys,

My brother recently bought a '76 mako 20 that is in decent shape considering its age. Just the other day the motor started acting up for him. When you try and start the motor it is just a very slow crank, not turning over nearly fast enough to start. Battery passed a load test and is fully charged. He also attached jumper cables from the truck to the starter solenoid to eliminate any possible battery issues and it still cranks slowly. Is there a way to test if the starter is no good or it's just not getting enough power to start the motor, or solenoid issue? He last used the boat a couple of weeks ago and he claims it started up just fine.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Current
    '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
    Previous
    '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
    '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
    Brick, NJ

A starter/alternator shop should be able to check out the starter.

I've had several Merc starters over the years where the end bearing wore out and started to bind, causing slow rotation.
    1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
    Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, not sure why that didn't cross my mind but it certainly didn't. I will pass that along and see if it helps.

Thanks

Current
      '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
      Previous
      '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
      '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
      Brick, NJ

Comment

If battery's good it's not likely the solenoid...most likely is the startor failing. My guess is it's cheaper to just buy a new starter than take one to a shop for analysis and rebuild, but check it out.
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Working...
        X