Honda 50 HP water pressure problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda 50 HP water pressure problem

after dewinterizing, noticed no stream and low water pressure on the gauge, zero at low RPM, to maybe 3-4 at higher RPM, normally I'd expect to see over 10, and was getting intermittent overheat alarm at higher RPM's, so pulled it back out and replaced the impeller and housing. The impeller was a little torn up, corners of 2 or 3 of the vanes were missing. The plastic housing was burnt/melted just a little bit. Put in the new kit, being careful to grease the inside of the housing, and make sure the vanes were pointing the correct way. Launched the boat, still no pressure on the gauge, no pee, didn't run it long enough to get the overheat alarm.

I'm thinking maybe parts of the impeller have clogged the water passageway. Dropped the lower unit last night and pulled the thermostat, it looked normal. Put a bucket under the lower unit and with a hose ran a stream of water through both sides of the thermostat housing. I'm not sure which side brings raw water to the stat and which side brings water to the engine after the stat opens, but I got some small pieces of rubber in the bucket, for sure it's impeller material, but not nearly enough to cause a significant blockage and not enough to account for the missing material from the chewed up vanes. Water was pouring through both sides pretty well, although one side, the side to the right if looking at the engine from the rear, was initially backing up a lot, then it seemed to be running better after a few minutes of squirting water into it.

Are there any easy ways to check these passages and/or clear them? Any other ideas about why I'm not getting pressure? I was working in the dark, and in a mosquito swarm last night. Thanks in advance.

leave foot off and blow about 75lbs of air trough the pee hole, then rinse from t stat housing again. do it a few times and run again. if that doesn't do it you going to have to pull water jacket housing and cylinder head to clean the passages out.

gabe
    Savannah, Georgia

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by C130enginetroop

leave foot off and blow about 75lbs of air trough the pee hole, then rinse from t stat housing again. do it a few times and run again. if that doesn't do it you going to have to pull water jacket housing and cylinder head to clean the passages out.

gabe

Great, thanks, will give that a try Saturday.....

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by C130enginetroop

gabe

Great, thanks, will give that a try Saturday.....

Comment

Working...
        X