Help!__Evinrude 200 Looper won't go above3000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!__Evinrude 200 Looper won't go above3000 rpms

I finally got around to taking the boat out for the first time since last summer and the outboard is having an issue, it won't climb above 3000 RPM. Its a 1992 200 hp Evinrude. Its almost like it stutters, but it just will not climb above 3000 RPM. I cleaned the carbs and replaced the racor filter and took it out again and no difference. The fuel is fresh and it has even compression across all cylinders. The outboard has the VRO pump disconnected and has an electric fuel pump. It starts and idles fantastic.

I'm at a loss to what to go after next. I feel like its got to be a fuel issue, but I don't want to just throw parts at it.

Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/tsORL3eaunA
    1982 Mako 21

Sounds electrical? Is the throttle linkage opening up the carbs all the way? Plugged filter?[?]

Comment

Carbs are definitely opened up all the way.

Changed the fuel filter prior to the last test.

I just got a spark tester today, so I was going to verify I have good spark on all cylinders.
      1982 Mako 21

Comment

Had the same issue on a friends motor. First check that your shift interrupt switch on the motor is working correctly. It's a switch right but the shift lever in the motor, it cuts 3 cylinders out for a split second to ease the load on the motor when shifting, if that is good, then you have a bad voltage regulator. My buddy had twins and the first time it port motor and had a bad shift switch, the second time it was starboard motor and after checking switch it turned out to be voltage regulator.

Gabe
        Savannah, Georgia

Comment

Oh and you can check the shift switch by simply disconnecting it.
          Savannah, Georgia

Comment

I've never used a spark yesterday before , but it does light up on each cylinder, not very brightly but it does light.

Also, as I was messing with that I pulled all the plugs and the one in the port side bottom (or maybe middle I'm not 100% sure which it came out of) was significantly better than all the other plugs. Any thoughts on what that may indicate?
            1982 Mako 21

Comment

Oh also, I don't have the shift switch on my motor nor can I find the black and yellow wires that are supposed to be on that circuit anywhere. I see the spot on the shift bracket where it should be but it's not there. I think I've ruled that out anyways since I do have spark on all cylinders.
              1982 Mako 21

Comment

you are sure it's 3000 rpm?

might be in s.l.o.w check and see if the temp sensors are shorted by unplugging them and trying to run the motor
                76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mbe5003

I've never used a spark yesterday before , but it does light up on each cylinder, not very brightly but it does light.

Also, as I was messing with that I pulled all the plugs and the one in the port side bottom (or maybe middle I'm not 100% sure which it came out of) was significantly better than all the other plugs. Any thoughts on what that may indicate?

Check your ignition system. Failing stator can kill a bank, failing timer base can cause weak/erratic spark. Could also be powerpack...
                  ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Isn't 3000 the magic number for safe mode? So low oil or overheating condition.

Was the VRO disconnected properly and the oil sensor unplugged?

If you're premixing and not truly overheating, i would unplug the sensors and see if you can go above 3k
                    [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

It is definitely 3000 rpm. The vro was disconnected before I got the boat 7 years ago and it's run great up until this.

I will unplug the sensors and give it another go.

How do I test the timer base? I've got a shop manual but don't recall seeing anything about the timer base.

Thanks again.
                      1982 Mako 21

Comment

I believe safe mode is 2500...it is on the 90s loopers.

To test the timer base, you'll need a DVA meter.

When you say you cleaned the carbs, did you take them apart and go through them with new gasket kits? When at 3000, have you tried choking/priming the engine and seeing what it does?

If you are 100% sure it's not fuel-related, it's ignition. Your report that 1 cylinder seems to fire stronger than the others would suggest ignition.

Start reading on page 53

http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...20-%202012.pdf
                        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Get a dva adapter that will plug into your digital electric

multi-meter. I use fluke meters and love them. You also need a factory service manual. Look on EBay for a dva adapter and factory service manual. Don't get a clymer manual.
                          1978 Mako 21[br]Schneider [br]Butler, PA

Comment

A lot of times when you have 1 plug that looks so much better than all the rest its because its not firing well and the fuel is washing it clean...
                            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

A lot of times when you have 1 plug that looks so much better than all the rest its because its not firing well and the fuel is washing it clean...
                              [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                              X