Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak

Yesterday I ran my Yamaha 2 stroke on ear muffs for a few minutes. It has been about 6 months. It ran fine.

Today I was looking over the boat getting ready to put it in. I noticed a black oil had leaked down the back of the skeg. I took the prop off and the oil leak wasn't on the shaft. I assume the water seal was good then. Did it come from the housing?

How should I trouble shoot where this leak came from?

Oil from the exhaust that pooled in the lower unit.
    1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
    Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. Thank you.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wetwilly

Yesterday I ran my Yamaha 2 stroke on ear muffs for a few minutes. It has been about 6 months. It ran fine.

Today I was looking over the boat getting ready to put it in. I noticed a black oil had leaked down the back of the skeg. I took the prop off and the oil leak wasn't on the shaft. I assume the water seal was good then. Did it come from the housing?

How should I trouble shoot where this leak came from?

Two strokes are notorious for this. It's not a lot of oil it sounds like, but it is concerning to see. My ETEC 90 does this unless I keep it under 3k RPM.

Out of curiosity, pull off the cowling; is your oil pump plastic? Either way, those oil pumps get beat on pretty hard. How old is the motor? You might want to replace the oil pump. They are like $40 (mine was $34).

Also, your oil is black? You gotta sea foam the F out of that thing. I bought a '91 171S from my friend with 2010 ETEC 90. Last day he used it, powerhead went. Filled with carbon from running it low RPM. I'd run seafoam in it and give her hell; clean it out.

Two strokes will do this: the solution is to put some oil pads in the bottom of the motor [:0].
        JOHN W HUTCHINS

Comment

Working...
        X