Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Opt 225- curious about temps below powerhead

Hey gang-

I had the Opti started last month in the yard ( i like to start it every other month just to keep the fuel running through the system, etc... since it's not too cold in AZ.

Anywhooo,, while it was running//idled I noticed the area ( the down part that connects to the lower unit) below the powerhead was pretty warm.

I washed the cowling and all external parts down and noticed sort of 'steam' coming off that area below the powerhead. Could be just because the outside temperatures were a little cool.

I ofcourse had the muffs on and water was exiting out the appropriate parts of the motor (pee hole, prop, etc...).

THe water coming out of the pee hole wasn't hot , it seemed the normal 'warm' temp like it always is.

The impeller was replaced two years ago, with not much use. Any concerns and does my description make sense?

Thanks

Mitch
    1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225[br]Gilbert, AZ[br]

quote:

Originally posted by Reel Effort

Hey gang-

I had the Opti started last month in the yard ( i like to start it every other month just to keep the fuel running through the system, etc... since it's not too cold in AZ.

Anywhooo,, while it was running//idled I noticed the area ( the down part that connects to the lower unit) below the powerhead was pretty warm.

I washed the cowling and all external parts down and noticed sort of 'steam' coming off that area below the powerhead. Could be just because the outside temperatures were a little cool.

I ofcourse had the muffs on and water was exiting out the appropriate parts of the motor (pee hole, prop, etc...).

THe water coming out of the pee hole wasn't hot , it seemed the normal 'warm' temp like it always is.

The impeller was replaced two years ago, with not much use. Any concerns and does my description make sense?

Thanks

Mitch

Since the exhaust runs down the midsection I would imagine it could get a bit toasty. I am running mine this weekend and will see what temperature they are at.
    \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Thanks for the response, that makes sense and didn't think about the exhaust right there.

I am curious about what you will notice on yours .

Have a good one

Comment

I remembered something that might be of interest...when we refurbished my 2002 Optimax 150's we found cracked exhaust baffles in each of the motor mid-sections. We did not notice smoke, but the motors seemed to run cooler once we replaced....Sorry if this adds to your concerns list but thought it should be mentioned. []
        Boca Raton, FL[br]Current: 2002 253[br]Former: 1995 19[br]Former: 1979 19b

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by hergro

I remembered something that might be of interest...when we refurbished my 2002 Optimax 150's we found cracked exhaust baffles in each of the motor mid-sections. We did not notice smoke, but the motors seemed to run cooler once we replaced....Sorry if this adds to your concerns list but thought it should be mentioned. []

Never thought of that.

Was that a tough job to complete ?

Comment

Unfortunately, it was a pain as the power head had to come off to access the mid section. What made it terrible was the bolts and fittings were completely corroded and frozen so we ultimately had to torch much of them to remove. The trick was adding the heat/removing without busting something else. We originally needed to remove the head to replace worn out motor mounts. We discovered the cracked exhaust items as a bonus []
            Boca Raton, FL[br]Current: 2002 253[br]Former: 1995 19[br]Former: 1979 19b

Comment

Working...
            X