232 Re-power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 Re-power

I know this question has been asked many times before but just curious if opinions have changed. My OS66 250 is shot and it's time to re-power my 1995 232. I know weight is an issue with these boats. It looks like the new e-tecs come in the lightest weight but I don't know anyone with experience with them. Everyone here runs Yamaha, which look to be about 30-40 lbs heavier. So what do you guys running 232's think?
    1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

new or used? The new etecs are nice motors with some impressive design features and they quietly stand behind the motor the first couple of years. Yamaha's are the 800lb gorilla. Suzuiki's seem to never see a mechanic. post 2008 verado's are very good motors but always look very tall. Take your pick, they are all good these days and you would be happy with any of the above over your old motor, so dealer support might be the swing. Outboard Specialities in Florida has helped the CM community and seems to be a suzy repower king right now.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I've been looking for a good used motor for a year now and can't seem to find anything. I think a new motor is what I'm focused on now. The yamahas seem to be what everybody around here is running. I like the etecs but I worry about service around here.
      1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

Comment

I am running a df300 Suzuki on my 1996 232B and couldnt be happier. The hole shot, the fuel burn, just awesome.

quote:

Originally posted by Clean Get-a-way

I know this question has been asked many times before but just curious if opinions have changed. My OS66 250 is shot and it's time to re-power my 1995 232. I know weight is an issue with these boats. It looks like the new e-tecs come in the lightest weight but I don't know anyone with experience with them. Everyone here runs Yamaha, which look to be about 30-40 lbs heavier. So what do you guys running 232's think?

Comment

Not sure how long the Etec special warranty is being offered for, but it almost made me upgrade.

The warranty nationwide is a 3 + 7 year bumper to bumper (1500 hr limit). Here in Florida they offered a full 10 years w/o hours limit & all 10 years are covered my BRP, not 3rd party.

I have loved my 2008 175hp Etec. Though a little under-powered for the 228 she's pushing, it still gets her out of the water quickly.
          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

I ended up getting a used 225hp Optimax from 2005 for $5k. Compression was 105-115 all cylinders with 572 hrs. Extreme performance in boynton took care of the final bugs and now has my rig doing 41 knots, and fuel mileage is unreal compared to the carb 225 merc I had which was a 1994. Cant be more happy with the optimax. New motors are too expensive for my budget.

Comment

I purchased my outboard from Palm Beach Outboards, took my old clunker in on trade. My rig is a 228 mako.

Comment

Im just purchasing a 94 221b and putting on a 300 verado.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X