Suzuki DF140 on 17 Angler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF140 on 17 Angler?

I'm looking to re-power in the near future. I know the capacity plate says a max of 135 hp, but I would prefer the extra power over the 115 and not necessarily for speed. My boat is heavy with 4 batteries and it's only 5 hp over the limit.

On top of that the 140 weighs a little less.

I believe it has to be rigged by an authorized Suzuki dealer to maintain the 6 year warranty.

Would a dealer even rig it?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Speaking from experience the answer is no. I tried earlier this year and ended up with a 115. Still runs runs great. Top speed right at 40mph
    -Raul
    from Tampa, FL

:::Under Construction:::
    1985 Mako 254 - Twin Suzuki 200s in the future
    http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...rglass-squot-s

1987 Mako 171 Angler - 2017 Suzuki 115
    http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...ngler-splashed

1987 Mako 21B - 2013 Suzuki 150 4 stroke For Sale Soon

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Megalops

I believe it has to be rigged by an authorized Suzuki dealer to maintain the 6 year warranty.

Call International Marine. They will ship you a new Suzuki, let you rig it and then they will certify it.
      Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

in Some states there is a fine for each hp over the rating. also boats under 20 feet that is a CG rating and the CG can send you into shore or fine you or seize the boat as un safe. Best is to ask some one locally what the policy is. If you read the plate it says Coast Guard rating, this could also effect your insurance.

Comment

You need to consider a few things

1. Your insurance will be cancelled once they figure out you exceeded the manufactures and USCG ratings

2. If you get boarded by the USCG, you will clearly be fined with no recourse and potentially your boat could be grounded

3. The boat are typically designed for a rating along with characteristics for handling, speed, etc. This boat would clearly be unsafe

4. If a dealer is willing to sign off on this repower, I would run - totally wrong and not good for the industry

Just thoughts from some one within the industry that as seen these actual occurrences and believes safety is paramount

Comment

I got a quote from International Marine a while back, but it included them rigging it. I will have to check out the possibility of rigging myself as long as it doesn't void the warranty.

Insurance isn't an issue, I own the boat and will be paying cash for the engine.

I know the capacity plate is there for a reason, but we're talking 5 more horsepower AND a little less weight. I need to find out what the law says here in Florida.

ruli00, how heavy is your boat, batteries and gear?

40 mph is plenty fast for me.
            1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

Megalops,

My experience with that engine has been excellent. I purchased two of them in the Spring of 03. They presently have a little over 2,000 hrs on them and they still run strong. They are mounted on a Mako 25 that we fish off the Delmarva peninsula as well as in the back bays. The offshore runs are typically 1 to 3 hrs, depending on were the fish are. We run at 3.800 to 4,200 RPM, depending on the seas. Without exaggeration, I can tell you that they did not burn oil on those runs. The motors were well maintained. We used Johnson synthetic blend (only because they are Johnson/Suzuki) and we changed the oil and filters on schedule.

Two weak points:

1. The end caps of the trim cylinders would not last more than 3 yrs with my installation. They would corrode and the piston seal would get partially exposed from electrolysis. We simply replaced them every 3rd year as part of our maintenance.

2. The oxygen sensors on the exhaust side deteriorate. In my case it took about 4-5 years. The sensors use dis-similar metals, and the salt water exhaust attacks them.

I don't consider either of these issues to be real problems, but rather part of maintenance.

So, knowing this, would I buy this engine again? Absolutely! In fact, I listed the boat last week on the "Classified" forum. If she does not sell, I will re-power her with those engines again.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Megalops

I got a quote from International Marine a while back, but it included them rigging it. I will have to check out the possibility of rigging myself as long as it doesn't void the warranty.

Insurance isn't an issue, I own the boat and will be paying cash for the engine.

I know the capacity plate is there for a reason, but we're talking 5 more horsepower AND a little less weight. I need to find out what the law says here in Florida.

ruli00, how heavy is your boat, batteries and gear?

40 mph is plenty fast for me.

I think my boat is quite heavier than it should be. My bet is they lost count on the sheets of glass when it was layed up at factory.

Top out is right at 40mph 5975rpms trimmed out on glass. Full tank at 36 gallons, 4 rods, 450lbs of persons, 4 batteries.

Cant remember what prop it is but I do remember its the largest diameter prop the motor will accept and its either a 20 of 21 pitch Suzuki prop.

Hope this helps.

I've had this motor for a few months now and have 50 hours on it. You'll love it. Get a 115 so you don't have any issues insuring it which I highly recommend doing. I'm also in Florida
                -Raul
                from Tampa, FL

:::Under Construction:::
                1985 Mako 254 - Twin Suzuki 200s in the future
                http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...rglass-squot-s

1987 Mako 171 Angler - 2017 Suzuki 115
                http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...ngler-splashed

1987 Mako 21B - 2013 Suzuki 150 4 stroke For Sale Soon

Comment

I think folks are seriously overthinking a 4% overage in hp, especially considering thats not exactly a barn burner of a motor. I think its a great fit, but something to consider is the 115 is very similar and seems to give closer performance numbers than youd expect.

But seriously, I would not be worried at all by 5hp.

Most people report their insurance doesnt care when they go over rating. Just ask. If so, call another company and check. Ive never heard of a ticket for going over the rating either. I dont even know if thats a regulation that can be written up.
                  Sold the 17\', moved to FL... I need a new handle.[br]1991 Jupiter 31, current project[br]2005 Everglades 243, sold[br]2012 Contender 23 Open sold[br]1989 Intrepid 246 WA--gone to Australia[br]1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets[br]1992 Mako 17--started it all[br]Pompano, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X