Johnson 225 VRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 225 VRO

Has anyone had any experience with this Motor ? This boat is new to me and since the tank is bad Im trying to test run the motor off a 6Gal remote tank . I would like too by-pass the VRO completely and go with a Pre-Mix so I have less of a chance of burning up the motor . Any Ideas?[][][]

Replace the entire fuel pump with a nonVRO pump. They are on ebay for $300ish.

You can also run 150:1 mix fuel and leave the VRO in place. This will give you extra protection just in case it does fail. Extra oil never hurts. Also I have the same engine and have run for years on Walmart Supertech oil for $12.88 per gallon. Boating is expensive enough no need to waste money on more expensive oil that works.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Depending on the year of your Johnson, you likely have an OMS (later incarnation of what people call the VRO).

Very reliable system, not prone to failure.

I'd leave it; premix doesnt hurt per se, but it does contribute to carbon build up through over-oiling, especially at idle.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I remove the VRO pumps and install an electric pump in its place. 40 bucks. Use the purple and black wire from the VRO to power the pump. Bonus is it self primes without needing to use the primer ball. Been successful on dozens of engines over the last 20 years

dave
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Ok cool ! Ill look into all of these and see what I can do . The motor is 87 or 88 I believe and It also has the Power Steering system on it . Never seen that before except on the Big Verados . Thanks for the Info ! i hope to get pictures up as soon as I figure out how !

Comment

I have ran Johnson outboards with a Holley red fuel pump/bypass regulator with return line and VRO pumps. If your running a V6 the single VRO pump is pretty simple. I also had a 300 Johnson V8 with dual VRO pumps and 1 VRO went bad, fuel side of pump. It was less money to eliminate both VRO pumps and run a Holley red fuel pump and regulator with premix than to replace 2 VRO pumps. I like the VRO on my 250 Johnson V6, changes the amount of oil at idle vs full throttle and helps to not foul plugs nearly as much trolling. The VRO pump gets a bad rap by mechanics who don't know how to work on them. But there always willing to sell you a new one.[]
            1978 Mako 21[br]Schneider [br]Butler, PA

Comment

My last boat had a 200 johnson vro. It was a 1993. The service tech talked me into disabling the vro pump and premixing. It was nice knowing e oil was in the fuel, but you could clear the mosquitos out of a canal on a cold start and it loaded the plugs pretty bad. Always was clearing it out before planing after a long idle. Great motor. If it runs with the vro, keep it.
              Preacherman[br]1987 Mako 261[br]1992 Angler 220 a Sold[br]1987 Bayliner 19 cc Sold[br]1977 Glaspar - Sold

Comment

quote:

I remove the VRO pumps and install an electric pump in its place. 40 bucks. Use the purple and black wire from the VRO to power the pump. Bonus is it self primes without needing to use the primer ball. Been successful on dozens of engines over the last 20 years

Sooo how do I go about this on my 175 hp. Its having hard start issues due to heat soak after running.

I have heard of people doing this but some mention risk of fire???
                1971 Angler 17[br]2000 Johnson 150[br]Miami, Fl

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ralph50

quote:

Sooo how do I go about this on my 175 hp. Its having hard start issues due to heat soak after running.

I have heard of people doing this but some mention risk of fire???

YOUR heat soak problem could be from ethanol fuel alcohol boils at a lower temp than straight gas I am told....

Plug the hose that goes to the block, remove the pump, and the oil lines going to it. Put the electric pump inline with the fuel line and the carb (or vst tank in your case) use the purple wire and the black wire to feed the pump. Purple is 12 volts when ignition is on....
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                  X