Motor height help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor height help

I have a new to me 96 232 with a f225 motor. Just wondering if anyone has the set up and if so which mount hole there motor is mounted with. Mine currently is in the second hole from the top so almost all the way down. Boat seems to run ok. I do get the porpoise I’ve read about on this forum which tabs help.
    With a 15.25x 17 prop currently seeing around 5500 rpms at 37mph wot.
    Plan on taking a friend out with me today so I can see exactly where the motor is on the water while running.

thanks

I have a 95 232 with a 225 Opti and a 14.625 x 17 Rev4. Engine 25" and is mounted on 2nd hole from top so can go three holes higher but I have observed cav plate close to top of water while crusing. Bottom paint is fresh.

Best I have seen is 42mph @ 5100 but that was with the current and wind, med load, trimmed out a little, and just a bit of tab to tame the porpoising in flat ICW water and Lake Atlantic.

Just went out this past weekend with half a tank, four people, 30 gal of water, 80 lbs of ice, rods, etc., so fairly heavy. Did a best of 37 mph in some light chop against the current.

225 Opti's are supposed to be WOT between 5100 and 5700 so I'm at the low end of the range but still in range. I know you are looking for info on a Yamaha powered boat but I figure some info is better than none.

Good luck.

95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL

Comment

• Travis_flying
      Travis_flying commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info!

Cav plate should be about even with the bottom of the keel unless it is set back. Then the amount of set back makes a difference on how much higher you can raise it. If you are having to use tabs to stop the porpoising I would say that you are about where you need to be. I have a F225 on my 231 and it is mounted in the second hole from the bottom but that can be deceiving too because not every boat has the the bolts through the transom in exactly the same location. I get 6100 RPM and 44-45 mph out of mine with 160 gallons of fuel, 3 people, and 2 coolers of ice. I don't use the tabs unless I need to level the ride because the load is uneven. I'm running a 14.75" x 15P x 4 blade SS Solas prop
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

It’s a bracketed boat so it is set back. Seems like I seen where some owners were running motors all the way at the highest mounting point. Storms in the afternoon haven’t allowed another test run. Hoping someone running this same setup will chime in so I have a idea of what to expect.

Comment

Where are you located? Someone might be close enough to you to go ride along.
        '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

Riders not the problem lol. Just need the weather and work schedule to work out. I’ll post back when we take her out again.

Comment

Finally was able to raise motor to top hole. Runs good going straight. Starts blowing out in turns.( not being overly aggressive either). Rpms nor top speed seemed to change . Water was right where it needed to be on cavitation plate. Boat was lightly loaded. (30 gallons of fuel no gear). Any recommendations. Thinking of spitting the difference and going bacK down one hole since I raised it 2. Open to any and all feedback. Travis

Comment

A 225 on a hull this size is very weight dependent, IMO. Is there any way you can weigh it just to make sure it isn't so badly waterlogged that it's affecting performance? Also, how clean is your boat's bottom?

Other than that I would guess it's the prop. If Wpeavy is seeing 6100 out of the same engine on a bigger boat with a smaller prop, that would be the direction I would go. I went down from a 3 blade 19p to a 4 blade 17p and saw improvements everywhere except top end. Well, I did see top end improvements when the boat was loaded, just not when it was light. Oh, and a 4 blade prop should help with blow out. You didn't mention how many blades your prop had.

Comment

I guess I should’ve included that boat has bottom paint that needs attention. And prop is 3 blade.

Comment

Bottom paint that needs attention or Sheephead come to your boat for a snack? I went from 37 to 42mph top speed (same weight and sea condition comparison) cleaning the marine life off my bottom but lost feeding the Sheephead.

Comment

Lol it’s clean just ugly. Trailer kept now

Comment

Photos attached. Ran on a lake. 38 mph 5600 rpm. 2 people and maybe 30 gallons of fuel. No other gear. Still porpoises running wide open. Able to compensate with tabs. Currently looking for a 4 blade with some stern lift to try.

Comment

Working...
                      X