236 Re Power Comments / Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 236 Re Power Comments / Suggestions

Happy new year people! Getting ready to repower my 83 236. Looking to stay gas, the same foot print, and would like to go EFI. I’m leaning towards a complete crate 383 stroker. Let me hear your thoughts...

Thanks,

Jamie
    Brand new (to me) 1983 236

As far as staying in the same footprint, the Mercruiser 383 is your best bet. I like the 6.0 Crusader, but the issue is that requires rewokring of the engine mounts. If your engine mounts are original, theres a good chance they're due to be replaced anyways, so it may not be a big deal to change the footprint after all. Also, I don't have any actually quotes, but it appears that the 6.0 crusader is approximately 30%-40% more expensive then Mercruiser. I currently have a 2bbl Mercruiser 5.7. When the time comes, I will most likely be going with a crate 383 Mercruiser. Check out Michigan Motorz for some pricing and options.

Comment

I am getting pretty close to repowering my 1979 236. Following! What area of the country are you located? I am in the Fort Lauderdale area.
      [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

Ok so it looks like a 383 STROKER, MPI, and FWC is the pick. About 1/2 the price of an outboard. Looking at rebuilding the transmission while the motor is ordered and fabricating stainless engine mounts. I’m going re-wire what I can and paint the bilge, new hoses and hardware. Am I missing anything else while I’m in there? I will post picture and details along the way.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what was the breakdown of the cost. I am having stainless steel engine mounts fabricated in a couple weeks at the same time the fuel tanks are built.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fuel injected 383 stroker for sure!

Comment

I'm going to get the stainless flat bar and angle iron tomorrow. I'm fabricating them myself, easy to copy something in your hand. I'll let you know but I'm guessing material will be around 100-150 bucks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	542942Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	542943Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	542945Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.10 MB ID:	542946
              Attached Files
              Last edited by off-line; 02-10-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Let me know how the performance turns out with the 383. My boat is going to be painted in the next month and then well be putting her back together. We don't need a new motor, current motor is (6 years old with 200 hours) but if someone would make me deal on a new 383 mercruiser or 6.0 crusader I would drop one in the boat in a second.

Comment

Anyone have guidance on a new wheel with the 383? I had a lions saved but can’t seem to get there where this was discussed at length. Appreciate the help.

Jamie

Comment

I think a lot of people were going with the acme wheel, 13x11.5 with over 300HP. Give acme a call. They have all the specs saved from over the years.

Comment

Motor delivered, wheel delivered...working on the helm

Comment

That 383 sure looks like fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X