236 Re Power Comments / Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 236 Re Power Comments / Suggestions

Happy new year people! Getting ready to repower my 83 236. Looking to stay gas, the same foot print, and would like to go EFI. I’m leaning towards a complete crate 383 stroker. Let me hear your thoughts...

Thanks,

Jamie
    Brand new (to me) 1983 236

As far as staying in the same footprint, the Mercruiser 383 is your best bet. I like the 6.0 Crusader, but the issue is that requires rewokring of the engine mounts. If your engine mounts are original, theres a good chance they're due to be replaced anyways, so it may not be a big deal to change the footprint after all. Also, I don't have any actually quotes, but it appears that the 6.0 crusader is approximately 30%-40% more expensive then Mercruiser. I currently have a 2bbl Mercruiser 5.7. When the time comes, I will most likely be going with a crate 383 Mercruiser. Check out Michigan Motorz for some pricing and options.

Comment

I am getting pretty close to repowering my 1979 236. Following! What area of the country are you located? I am in the Fort Lauderdale area.
      [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

Working...
      X