Project 21 Bigger and Better - Update Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 21 Bigger and Better - Update Cushions

Tonight I removed the fuel tank and thought would be very difficult, but it took about 15 minutes after the coffin top was removed. I guess this was appropriate since I just hosted a 15 body cadaver lab for my company's product just 3 days ago, but that's a story I would not rather go into....

The tank popped right out, but did take some front to back manipulation. I found removing the foam to be a PITA, but it came out and I found a little water. This is where the project turned for me. Originally I did not intend to pull the tank but decided to anyway. Since things are getting a little cold here up north and I found a little water in the coffin foam I decided to install a propane heating system in my garage/shop, which is a double deep garage. I had previously used a open flame propane heater (dangerous) and decided it was time to step up to something safer since I would be running the garage/work-area at 70 degrees all winter. My house is natural gas, but since propane is cheaper and easier I just ordered a ceiling hung direct vent unit and will swap propane bottles until such time I have a big tank dropped outside my garage (thank-you Nothern Tool). I have not told my wife that the boat is going in the garage and she will not be parking there, but I think she loves me enough and will understand that I'm doing this for the family.....

The removed tank looks great with some small areas of oxidation. I would like to keep the same tank, but will pressure test first and if good, I will sandblast and treat the tank to zinc chromate before the coal tar routine. I want to make sure it will hold fuel.

I will have images and plenty of questions tomorrow. I've already spent hours pouring over previous memebers projects, but my specific project may have certain things that you can help with.

More to follow.

D-
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

dont sandblast it, just sand it, clean it, and instead of zinc chromate roll some grey 545 on there
    Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

Pictures?!?!?!
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Pictures?!?!?!

Sailor - I have been on this site to know better, but your reminder is appreciated.... The lighting (500 Watts) at 9pm did not cooperate and images were poor and I thought I would save eveyone the pain. I could blame the poor lighting on the reason I'm installing heating in my garage, but that would just be an excuse. Images to follow tomorrow before the next rain. I'll do better going forward when the boat moves inside with good light. I still have some sheetrocking taping to do so my heat actually contributes toward keeping mt garage warm....

D-
        Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Images as promised.

I'm hoping to get a little more done today before the rain starts. Things are starting to cool down around here and we got our first night of frost. The heat for the garage will arrive just in the nick of time.

D-

Comment

Thanks Dave. Looks like this was a pretty easy removal as there wasn't much foam in there. I've been watching the fuel tank threads closely as I will probably be pulling mine after the end of this winter.

Was there any gas in the water you found in the water?
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

quote:

Was there any gas in the water you found in the water?

Sailor - I checked this first and it did not smell. The water is pretty dirty from being in the coffin for so long, but no gas. To be absolutely sure, I'll be pressure testing the tank (safely) to check for leaks. Probably have it cleaned up tonight and painted by early next week, but I'm stuck playing the temp and humidity game as we wait for a little rain over the weekend. I'm also looking into the suggestion of Raybo-M.

D-

Comment

You aren't going to replace the tank? Seems like a good time to do it, but if it came out that easy, then maybe it won't be a big deal for next time.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Raybo do You read me?

Can You tell me what is grey 545?
                  Fb

Comment

I am going to afford same experience of Dtmackey .
                    Fb

Comment

Grey 545 is the awlgrip 545 primer Im pretty sure, the epoxy primer stuff.
                      John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

Yes Gray is D1001

White is D8001

Converter is D3001

Those are the Awlgrip pt #'s.

reducer for spraying is T0006

Comment

Do you guys recommend the primer in addition to the coal tar for new tanks?
                          \'84 Mako 172[br](the money pit)[br]San Clemente, CA

Comment

I dont tar tanks, we just roll on the grey 545, its a good bare metal primer, if your doing this outside or in a garage with no heat use some Cold Cure additive with it, dont roll it on super heavy either.

were there any rubber strips in there when it came out?
                            Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

quote:

You aren't going to replace the tank?

I pulled the tank to see if replacement was required, but after cleaning it off today, I am surprised and happy. The tank is in great shape and was zinc chromate painted when the boat was built. I know this seems weird, but after cleaning off the foam and other stuff, it came down to paint. The paint has been damp for so long that it is now peeling, but the tank looks great. This is the original tank and the factory Mako label confirms this. I'm going to spend a little more time cleaning it and prep it for paint and re-install. Maybe this was something special that was done for Florida Marine Patrol boats. There are other things on this boat that are not the same as civilian model 211

New fuel lines will be purchased sometime this week and installed.

D-

Comment

Working...
                              X