Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Rail Polish Experts

Hi everyone,

My Mako 15 is from 1974, and my guess is the rails have never been polished. I am experimenting with it now, and need some advice. I tried most all home remedies I could find on the net, nothing worked. I tried Nevr Dull, it did almost nothing. The I tried wet sanding with 600P wet/dry, fairly lightly, and now I have a 6 inch shiny section, after I applied the Nevr Dull again in the same spot. So it looks like there is a film on the outside of the rail, very tough, and hard to remove. I can keep going this way, bit I does this sound right to you? My wipe off towel has become pretty black, which I hear is normal. I did check the rail with as magnet, it does not stick, so I assume it is stainless steal. I have read other threads on this forum about polishing, but wonder if I am proceeding correctly.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the advice.

Mark
    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

See if I can upload a pic of the rail.

Mark
    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

It's probably anodized aluminum, which does not polish well. When you sanded it you removed the anodization creating the shine but removing the protectant. You can keep going and remove the rest but it will be a PITA. I'd say leave it unless you want to make the whole thing a mirror finish. Anodized finishes don't need polishing in most cases, just warm water and soap.

Comment

What is a PITA? I tried soap and water, but it didn't make any difference. The sanding had this black powder come off, so I am not sure if it is a coating or not. If I do finish it with sanding, will it be more prone to rust?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

"PITA" means "Pain In The A$$" You need to identify if it's aluminum or Stainless first. If you can easily scratch it with a pocket knife then its aluminum. If it is aluminum then what was said is true. You can polish it but it will be dull again in months. If it is stainless then you can get scotch-brite pads and use them to polish them. Get the pads that are about 8" long and 4" wide https://www.amazon.com/20Pk-Scotch-B...%2C171&sr=8-12. I wrap them around the tube, hold them by the ends, and pull them back and forth. The biggest thing will be patience.
          '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

I did a check on the rail, I cannot scratch the metal of the section I had sanded and polished, not even with a sharp fillet knife. I can scrape off the tarnish down to the metal in some places. I assume it means I have stainless steal rails. I'll try the scotch brite pads, see what they do. It is definitely PITA! But call me crazy (I probably am), I want my Mako to look like new. It took me 5 hours to wash, polish, and wax inside and out 2 weeks ago. I just refinished all the wood, building new seat cushions now, and then onto the rail. It has taken me 2 years to get it where it is now. I'm crazy enough to keep on going.

Comment

Working...
            X