Mako 20 transom rebuild screw up #$&%*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 20 transom rebuild screw up #$&%*

So some may or may not recall I poured my transom with ARJAY a couple months back, I used a ladder to support the bow but that didn't work and I got one HELL of a hump in the transom! So after letting it sit several months due to my frustration with it I decided to Grind the hell out of it and level it back out. MANY hours later and several sanding discs and MANY MANY itchy nights later I got it! So I attached a picture of the transom, the grey in the middle is bare ARJAY with solid glass about 4inches around the sides. My question is how many layers of glass do you recommend? I was going to go 1st layer CSM followed by 2-3 layers of 1708 Biaxle using poly layup resin. Your thoughts are always helpful and welcomed.... Thanks

That sucks. I had the same thing happen on mine but not as bad and that arjay is sh&tty to sand! It's like microscopic bugs with alligator teeth chewing on your skin. I think I laid CSM as a leveler then sanded again to make sure it was straight, then went with 1708, maybe a couple of layers to tie it in, so I'd say you are on the right track.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Sorry to not understand, but why did the transom "hump" out based on supporting the bow with a ladder? Guess I am not catching on where the hump is located and what should have been done to correct the issue.

But glad to see you are striving forward!
      1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

I'd err on thick, maybe 4 layers of 1708 after CSM...that still wont be 1/4" outer skin but should be close.
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Ok I put 3 layers of 1708 stitched biaxial on the transom today with polyester layup resin. I let it cure for a couple hours then put a coat of gel coat on it so it could fully cure. I was going to give it a solid 24 hours then sand it and either put another layer or two of glass, or just fair it and prime it? What's everyone's thoughts?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jeremy5780

Ok I put 3 layers of 1708 stitched biaxial on the transom today with polyester layup resin. I let it cure for a couple hours then put a coat of gel coat on it so it could fully cure. I was going to give it a solid 24 hours then sand it and either put another layer or two of glass, or just fair it and prime it? What's everyone's thoughts?

Why did you coat it with gel coat? The fiberglass will kick without it and truth be told, the next round of glass would adhere just fine. If you decide to add more glass, be sure to grind off all the gelcoat. Good luck.
            BadMako.[br]

Comment

Working...
            X