88 254 Hull Swelling/Bulging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 254 Hull Swelling/Bulging

Im looking at a 254 to buy thats been restored but while inspecting it I noticed a bulge on the outside of the hull on both sides just forward of the bulkhead inside the hatch at aft corner. I couldnt get a good view on the inside where its happening but tapping the hull definitely sounds like theres some foam behind where its bulging. Would this be caused by water logged foam expanding? How common is this? Could I get access to that area from opening up the main fuel tank hatch or would I need to cut a hole somewhere?

Thanks!
    1992 261B

Possibly could have been overfoamed, especially if it sounds really solid when you knock on it. I would think wet foam would sound different and I dont think it would swell that much.
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

Id be sure first. Unless foam is really confined it shouldnt be able to bulge here ol sides that much. It would have to be confined.

Id be more concerned about hull distortion. Were stringers removed/reduce be?

Comment

Hmm alright. Its pretty odd its on both sides in the same place. Owner says shop checked out inside when they did the tank and all was ok. They didnt replace stringers but did convert it from notched to closed transom.

I think Im going to pass on it unless he can adjust price to accommodate investigating it further.
        1992 261B

Comment

How big is the bulge? The sides of the older Mako's weren't that thick and relied on the foam to add to rigidity and sometimes some were over injected causing bulges or waviness down the hull side. If they are smaller random bulges, that could be something else but a large bulge sounds like it would be from the foam. Can you post a picture?
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

How big is the bulge? The sides of the older Mako's weren't that thick and relied on the foam to add to rigidity and sometimes some were over injected causing bulges or waviness down the hull side. If they are smaller random bulges, that could be something else but a large bulge sounds like it would be from the foam. Can you post a picture?

Really hard to tell from photos but heres the best I got. Look at bottom paint line. Id say its at least 1/2in out and runs about 18in forward. Port side isnt as bad.

1992 261B

Comment

I had a 1978 25' that had the opposite. The hull sides were slightly concave near the stern. I've heard explanations that they might have pulled the hull from the mold before it was finally cured.

They put a lot of glass in them. The explanation sounded reasonable to me. I had that boat for 15 years and never had a problem.
              2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Years ago I looked at an Aquasport that had bulging and the foam was holding water and freezing in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                X