Coffin lid wont come loose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffin lid wont come loose.

In the process of replacing the tank on an 88 171.

The boat was only 4 years old when I bought it in 1992 so I wouldn't suspect that there would have been any reason for the previous owner to have the coffin lid off. However after trying every conceivable way to break the cover loose it has yet to budge.

I really believe it was sealed with 5200. I pealed some white sealant out of the seams but can't cut the seal underneath.

I don't think the factory would have used anything that permanent.

Anyone had to deal with anything like this?

I've already cut a 4 inch inspection plate hole so I could pry against the tank but still no luck.

I'm open to suggestions.
    Dave[br]Bradenton, FL[br]

Make sure you cut all the way through the sealant then work on getting under one corner once you do that it should be easy.

Expect to cause some damage to the coffin cover, deck or both.
    Long Island, New York

Comment

Make sure you cut all the way through the sealant then work on getting under one corner once you do that it should be easy.

Expect to cause some damage to the coffin cover, deck or both.
      Long Island, New York

Comment

What about a piece of 400# wire leader. Get in and out the inspection hole you already cut. Use the wire to cut the sealant. I would not have the mindset your gonna damage something. Thats more money and more work. I would NOT use heat. May cause separation on the layup
        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I forget what its called but isn't there a solvent that will soften 5200. You might want to look into that. Before you create more work for yourself. I know it's been discussed here before.
          1977 mako 23

Comment

I'd try Brando's idea if you could fit the wire and this may sound dumb but make sure all the screws are out. When I had to take mine off there were a couple screws hidden under grime.

This might work to remove the 5200. I've never used it though so I cam't promise anything

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...RoCdHMQAvD_BwE

By the way. Your boat is absolutely beautiful
            1985 Mako 17 T/T Broken Arrow [br]Jake Dodge[br]Maysville, GA[br][br]Project thread http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58992

Comment

I'd try Brando's idea if you could fit the wire and this may sound dumb but make sure all the screws are out. When I had to take mine off there were a couple screws hidden under grime.

This might work to remove the 5200. I've never used it though so I cam't promise anything

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...RoCdHMQAvD_BwE

By the way. Your boat is absolutely beautiful
              1985 Mako 17 T/T Broken Arrow [br]Jake Dodge[br]Maysville, GA[br][br]Project thread http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58992

Comment

I'd try to work a piece of Titanium leader wire under an edge and see if you can work it like a knife.

Comment

I'd try to work a piece of Titanium leader wire under an edge and see if you can work it like a knife.

Comment

Antibond and a thin knife.
                    1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

Comment

mine was sealed with 5200 or similar. I cut the seal with one of those plunge saws or "multi tools" i put a bar (maybe a piece of conduit) inside of the inspection plate for the sender put a chain on the bar and pryed up with my cherry picker. not hard prying just constant pressure so i could access fresh sealant, eventually I got it to pop.

ultimately you could brace a few 2x4s across the gunwales with a bottle jack and acheive the same idea for pressure.
                      Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Just a follow up on the stuck coffin lid. DeBond did the trick!

I had my doubts, but it definitely breaks down 5200 type adhesives and sealants. I sprayed the seam all around and used a carpet knife to cut the seal then sprayed some more. Constant pressure with a ratchet strap and it eventually broke loose.

New tank is on order.

I'll post the complete project when it's complete.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
                        Dave[br]Bradenton, FL[br]

Comment

Congrats on popping the lid! Mine came up quite easily i think the factory used a silicon based sealant. Your 17 is beautiful post some more pics of that baby. Any bow shots of your trolling motor set up?
                          [br]Margate NJ[br]1989 Mako 211[br]2009 Etec 200 HO

Comment

Working...
                          X