Tank coffin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank coffin question

I pulled my aluminum fuel tank and it looks OK. Its not original. A sticker on top shows it was built in 2001. It wasnt foamed in. It was sitting on what looked like petrified neoprene on top of the center spar, then fastened with two L brackets on each side. There are two circular cutouts in each of the port and starboard spars. These were foamed in and it appears the tank also sat on them. What is the purpose of these 4 holes? Has anyone considered sitting the tank on sliced pool noodle sections, like donuts? Im thinking of how Im going to reinstall the tank and prevent water from touching the tank for long periods which seems to have been the problem with foaming the tank in by Mako.

The coffin itself is the problem. Like others, I did a ay with the coffin. Foam it in and build a good floor with no access places for water to EVER Get in. I dont care how well you try to seal the lid, water will get in.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Cwatter

I pulled my aluminum fuel tank and it looks OK. Its not original. A sticker on top shows it was built in 2001. It wasnt foamed in. It was sitting on what looked like petrified neoprene on top of the center spar, then fastened with two L brackets on each side. There are two circular cutouts in each of the port and starboard spars. These were foamed in and it appears the tank also sat on them. What is the purpose of these 4 holes? Has anyone considered sitting the tank on sliced pool noodle sections, like donuts? Im thinking of how Im going to reinstall the tank and prevent water from touching the tank for long periods which seems to have been the problem with foaming the tank in by Mako.

Pool noodles? Serious? Install the tank as it was done originally, foam it in, glass over the top edge of foam and the tank to seal it. Run a drain line from the top of the tank to drip into the bilge to help with condensation. Seal the lid with Boatlife sealant. Every two years pull the tank lid, clean the tank, and reinstall lid with fresh sealant. Its not a Mako design problem, its peoples maintenance negligence, expecting a bead of sealant to last 25 years.

If the tank does not have coal tar epoxy on it, clean it and coat it. You can also use interlux 2000E.

The 4 holes in the coffin is where mako foamed under the coffin, I'd glass over those.
      David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Cwatter

Pool noodles? Serious? Install the tank as it was done originally, foam it in, glass over the top edge of foam and the tank to seal it. Run a drain line from the top of the tank to drip into the bilge to help with condensation. Seal the lid with Boatlife sealant. Every two years pull the tank lid, clean the tank, and reinstall lid with fresh sealant. Its not a Mako design problem, its peoples maintenance negligence, expecting a bead of sealant to last 25 years.

If the tank does not have coal tar epoxy on it, clean it and coat it. You can also use interlux 2000E.

The 4 holes in the coffin is where mako foamed under the coffin, I'd glass over those.
        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Listen to triplecrown! Spot on advice. Dont take short cuts
          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Listen to triplecrown! Spot on advice. Dont take short cuts
            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Working...
            X