How to build a leaning post live well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a leaning post live well

Anyone build a leaning post live well? I like the nautical design lp 40 but its a little pricey. I found a nice glass 26g live well on craigslist and want to build a leaning post around it.

What would you guys suggest. Building the frame of coosa or foam and glassing and fairing or spending the time to make a mold Any pics or links to your projects would be helpful

If youre only going to build one for yourself, I me personally wouldnt go through the extra work and cost to build a mould. If you plan on trying to sell some after then go for it. Otherwise, build it out of foam board whichever brand of your liking and go from there. You could build a one time reverse mould out of MDF or melamine but not sure if it would be worth it or not to do it. Either way, good luck and post lots of pics.
    BadMako.[br]

Comment

I don't have any knowledge to add but I'm interested in building the same thing so please create a thread documenting how you do it. I have saved a few links to threads on other sites:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ou-can-do.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...me-advice.html

Nathan Floyd[br]1992 Mako 191[br]2006 Suzuki DF150

Comment

I did mine. Couldn't find anything that would work for my 17. I made a mold out of MDF for a one time use. It cut down one lot of the fairing. I took a plastic drum and cut it down. That's what fits in mine for the live well.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by davegibbs

...Building the frame of coosa or foam and glassing and fairing...

A simple glassed-over plywood construction might be a practical alternative for this.
          \"Anything seems possible when you don\'t know what you\'re doing.\"

Comment

I made my own out of 3/8" plywood then glassed the exterior with epoxy and 6oz E cloth. Gave the interir several coats of thinned epoxy. Painted it with Interthane Plus. This picture is the one I have most handy of the leaning post I made.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas

I think I might try a mock up this weekend out of plywood. This is the tank I picked up last weekend and a seat I found but It could be to big for what Im looking for.

Comment

Dave

Here is a pic of my leaning post and tank, I hindged the side to make the tank a bit more accessible

Stefan, San Pedro Calif. 1985 Mako 224 CC, Yamaha 225 SS II, Furuno 600L , Furuno 1623 Radar, Furuno 1610 GPS[br]

Comment

Fancy that, I need to build one as well. I'm quite a ways behind you guys, so I'll let you all be the guinea pigs this time. Good luck!
                  [img=left]https://i.imgur.com/b1nW04t.jpg?2[/img=left][br]1975 23 Inboard [br]Chesapeake, VA[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=59930

Comment

Heres some mockup pics I will build the box out of foam and wrap it with glass.

Im attempting to build a curved mold for the outer skin of the bait tank. I built a plywood form and used heavy builders board for the radius. I'll use contact cement to glue heavy plastic to the builders board. Then a couple layers of glass. So far it looks good but I never tried this before.

Comment

Comment

Comment

This was almost an epic fail but turned out to be pay now or pay later and I will pay later.

I contact cemented plastic to the form and it laid down very nice. I came back in a hour to start glassing and it had tons of air bubbles in it. I rolled the air out as best I could and went for it. I pulled it out of the form today and its bad but nothing I cant fair out. Its all low spots ,so it should fair easily. I got the basic shape I wanted

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X